Books based on games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books based on games

Hello all, I have a random question for all of you, that probably falls under advertising, even though that isn't really the point. After watching movies like Gamers, my friends and I thought it would be fun to write short stories/books about the games we played. So far we've only published one (titled The Case Files of Jake Malone for anyone interested), but I was curious: is there a market out there for these kinds of stories?

As far as I know, the first Dragonlance trilogy is more or less that. Movie critic Bob "MovieBob" Chipman also wrote a book that he describes as a Let's Play of Super Mario Bros. 3, which isn't exactly the same thing but could imply a market, at least.

Comment

Most books written for specific game-worlds are cheap formulaic crap but if you're writing about game'S' being played, I don't see why it wouldn't sell as long as it isn't just a description of players playing characters, it needs more meat around its bones than just that to make a good book. Badly written feels pretty much like that, a transcript from happenings at the gaming table.

Comment

Fair points, and while I'm fairly biased, I'd like to believe the ones I write are more entertaining than descriptions of what players do. Lol. If there is indeed a market for this style of book, is it something you, as fellow gamers, are interested in reading? Again, not mine specifically, but just in general. Do other players, like myself, enjoy reading about the worlds the GM's create, or do you all generally prefer to only delve into the games you play? Also, short of my visiting countless forums and begging, "Please, oh please, buy my book!" (Lol), does anyone have ideas as far as marketing?

Comment

You'll place your book for sale at kindle or other similar store which sells E-books. If the public receives it well it will sell and you can offer it as a proof of your abilities as a writer to 'real' publishers for your next book to-be and if not, no big loss as you paid almost nothing anyway.

Comment

Actually, did that last month. Lol. To Kindle. I was just curious about the "what now?" factor. Lol

Comment

Those first 6 Dragonlance novels by Weis and Hickman were some of the best stuff I've ever read. All I had to do was mention a cameo of "Raistlin Majere" the next trilogy (War of Souls) and it got someone else buying into that series. I've never read about the main villain in a book whose death affected me so damn much. (The authors were also very surprised of that character's popularity. And then there's that other bad guy, the death knight "Lord Soth.")
              And from what I recall, it all began with a gaming session that was too good not to write about.

And then there's the "Forgotten Realms." Authors R.A. Salvatore and Ed Greenwood have made a career writing about their popular characters "Drizzt Do'urden" (dark elf ranger), and Elminster (an ultra powerful human wizard), respectively, and related characters in their series. (Both play the game that they helped create, or at least they did back when it all began)

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

Greenwood was a developer, yes and his Elmonster-character is a mixed bag among fans but Salvatore was just a fan of AD&D but his books came to be so popular that his characters were placed as part of the canon after 2ed FR

Comment

Originally posted by Crystalphoenixhobbies View Post
                  Hello all, I have a random question for all of you, that probably falls under advertising, even though that isn't really the point. After watching movies like Gamers, my friends and
                  I figured it would be enjoyable to compose brief tales/books about the games we played. Up to this point we've just distributed one (named The Case Documents of Jake Malone for anyone with any interest at uk.bestessays.com), however I was interested: is there a market out there for these sorts of stories?
                  A Gambler’s Anatomy by Jonathan Lethem (also the author of Motherless Brooklyn). Gambling and backgammon. Actually, an international backgammon hustler.
                  Last edited by adamscotthi; 11-25-2022, 03:34 AM.

Comment

The necromancers' coven is hereby assembled.

Thank you for passing time with me in conversation. My Hacks.

Comment

I haven't seen to many books that are based off games that were any good. The only exceptions I could think of were R.A. Salavtores Drizzt novels or the Dragonlance novels by Weis & Hickman.

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

You're right that not all writers are talented. And I think using these online resources will be really helpful for my academic future. In my case, I've only recently begun using thesis services to improve my university www.bestessays.com marks due to the excellent quality of the work. Now that I know the qualified writers will handle everything for me, I even don't worry if I need to rapidly create an essay.
                        Last edited by Pazuri; 11-30-2022, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X