X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lysander
    replied
    Is it wrong to hope we don't see another Alien, Predator, Terminator or Star Wars movie for along time?

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Welp, I got a friend facing eviction. If you can help out, it'd be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    I hate online "tabletop" RPGs

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    My sister teachers in a religious school that's prestigious enough to pull in secular professors with PhDs from big name universities with better pay/benefits.

That is, however, an extreme outlier. Reverting everything to religious schools is just going to leave us with dozens of millions of kids without any education because teachers don't want to work for private schools as the vast majority of them are virulently anti-union and thus are even worse jobs than public schools. We should have more like 5 million teachers in this country, with attendent support professionals. Killing public schools is just going to reduce that number to ~1.5 to 2 million. It's just not enough to ensure most US kids have a basic education even with parents willing to send their kids to conversion school.

Leave a comment:

• Darksol-aeternium
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
    On a separate note:

I know, very first hand, how much this is fueled by people that want to kill public schools in the US, and make everything private schools paid by the government but somehow immune to government oversight. But those people don't realize that the teaching profession doesn't want that, or work for them. There's only ~3.5 million K-12 public school teachers in the country as it is, and that's barebones. We are in for generations of damage to ever part of our society if that keeps going down. We're in for hurt across society here just from all the experienced teachers leaving the profession before they can help new teachers learn the ropes. Teaching is not a job you can just figure out on your own in a few weeks.
    This ploy by those hoping to kill public schools may also include those who ant to revert all such schooling to the hand of the mainstream religious cults like it used to be. This way they can finally lock all new citizens into being nothing but more of their flock by controlling information (censoring/banning/etc). Either way, it'll all backfire since the world is NOT going to suddenly become the backwards, primitive scenario such people are comfortable with and all the technology isn't going to suddenly disappear. What this will all result in is a larger unemployable population that won't be taken care of by any safety nets and contributing to the homeless and/or criminal populations until the whole country becomes an even more obvious cesspit. One they can't pray their way out of.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Spoilered for grossness
    The way you put it, I thought it would be far worse. That's not so gross to read.

It's also hard to tell if the symptom was due Paxlovid or Covid-19, as it also does that.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    I hated those multiple foil embossed covers back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    To be a bit more specific on what happened with comics:

First, there was the Clinton boom (this hit a lot of industries in the 90s). Clinton's economic policies were really good for consumers, compared to the previous administrations and the ones after, plus other factors. The middle class expanded, and there was a lot more purchasing power in the traditional (if largely white, but white was also a large population majority at the time too) niche luxury item markets. In the comics industry specifically, this enabled years of marketing towards the collector markets: people where buying "rare" comics on the idea that they'd be like rare baseball cards that would appreciate in value and eventually pay for their kid to go to college/etc.

Marvel and DC were the worst (but by no means exclusive) comic companies in this regard. This was the start of "make as many issue #1 comics as possible, because those sell the best because collectors love them," and, "make sure to have four cover variants in regular circulation with one special expensive cover for the whale collectors," and so on.

Unsurprisingly to students of history, that bubble burst, and burst hard. All that artificially inflated "collector" value dried up once the Ponzi scheme at the core of it finally hit critical weight. The collapse also coincided with the beginnings of the digital economy. Marvel and DC, again, pushed hard against comics becoming a digital product as they completely misread the direction of publication. By the time they were dragged into the 21st century, they were so far behind their transition to digital distribution was shit, and they tried to go back to the physical market even harder to no real avail rather than just fixing the problems.

The biggest problems with "wokeness" in comics is that Marvel and DC are both insanely guilty of tokenism. Not just characters (actually there's some really good examples of non-token minority characters in both companies rosters), but with creatives and marketing. They forgot that the "white male comic nerd" customer base was something built on generations of material. When a minority creative was given a series, they'd get 6-12 issues to start doing Batman or Spider-Man numbers before getting canned for weak (no matter how good they were for original or revival of B, C, or D list characters on their own merits) sales, creating a feedback loop of minority driven comics "failing" because they were never given the chance to succeed, and minority audiences growing less and less willing to buy into products they liked because the rug was continually pulled just at things were getting good.

Meanwhile you had Dark Horse, Image, and similar imprints showing that completely different approaches were competitive, but were still struggling to grow the audience instead of siphoning off people upset at Marvel and DC. As well, webcomics took off as easily accessible and great for indies because they could completely circumvent traditional publication and find big enough audiences to make a living. New comic audiences can get free comics of high quality by accepting ads on the side of their browser windows (And now also things like Pateron) and not be subject to the editorial curation of out of touch corporate overlords.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Paxlovid side effects. I still feel grateful for the mild symptoms and the fact that I can even access it to smooth my recovery, but, well...

Spoilered for grossness

Diarrhea and more frequent and....urgent bathroom trips may be mild compared to the alternatives, but it's hard not to focus on them when you are stuck in a small set of rooms for multiple days.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    It should be pointed that sales for comics have been falling since the 1990's as costs went up and you saw them put into niche shops instead of seeing them in new stands and the availabilty of new entertainment technology that was interactive took the forefront in entertainment. I'm sure the movies maybe drummed sales up a little and that was good and all that, but it's hard to get invested emotionally with a character if in a short time that the events have been retconned out of existence.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by Lysander View Post
    I hate it when we all make blanket statements on things we don't truly understand. For instance I watched a youtube video that comics at Marvel & DC have become to woke or poltically correct and that's why people aren't buying them anymore.

Speaking for myself I stopped buying superhero stuff because I was getting older and my interests were changing and characters like Batman, Nightwing and etc stayed the same and I was getting weary of the endless reboots.

So I started to read Manga and other indie comics that were more adult driven. It wasn't wokeness that ended my interest in that genre at all. I wanted something different from the standard fare.
    I hate it when nerds claim that comics are now 'political'.

Superman started out in the great depression, smashing Landlords and shoving CEOs into mines that they refused to put safety equipment into. Destroying slums and rebuilding entire apartments in its place. Comics have, and always will be, political. The mere act of superpowerful beings bending down to help out those weaker than themselves speaks volumes when they were started in an era where social darwinism as rife.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    I hate it when we all make blanket statements on things we don't truly understand. For instance I watched a youtube video that comics at Marvel & DC have become to woke or poltically correct and that's why people aren't buying them anymore.

Speaking for myself I stopped buying superhero stuff because I was getting older and my interests were changing and characters like Batman, Nightwing and etc stayed the same and I was getting weary of the endless reboots.

So I started to read Manga and other indie comics that were more adult driven. It wasn't wokeness that ended my interest in that genre at all. I wanted something different from the standard fare.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    I hate just how much the Portuguese butchered our own language to be Super-Catholics. So many things had their names established or changed just as Roman Catholic religious references. Italy itself doesn't use the Catholic weekdays names, we do. There are other things, many others, but I'm too frustrated to look and enumerate them right now.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    On a separate note:

I hate that the US is suffering a major teacher shortage because we, as a society, just accept that teachers are allowed to be treated like crap. I literally saw a teacher tweeting on how much she lamented seeing so many teachers quit get mob harassed with over 30 people calling her a groomer withing an hour of her tweet. And of course, for all certain people in this country complain about "social media censorship," wild mass harassment of people via unfounded accusations of sexual abuse of children is not something that gets you moderated on Twitter.

I know, very first hand, how much this is fueled by people that want to kill public schools in the US, and make everything private schools paid by the government but somehow immune to government oversight. But those people don't realize that the teaching profession doesn't want that, or work for them. There's only ~3.5 million K-12 public school teachers in the country as it is, and that's barebones. We are in for generations of damage to ever part of our society if that keeps going down. We're in for hurt across society here just from all the experienced teachers leaving the profession before they can help new teachers learn the ropes. Teaching is not a job you can just figure out on your own in a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
    Blatant bold-faced Hypocrisy
    I remember when the GOP sponsored alt-right were howling like rabid dogs to "investigate" the entirety of Hilary Clinton's life looking for evidence of their inane conspiracies. And now that this has happened; https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...out&li=BBnb7Kz
    suddenly they cry and whine with new levels of butt-hurt over having the same thing done to them. Of course in this case they actually found something incriminating...

I know and it's darkly amusing to see how Fox News were praising the FBI when they investigated then Secretary Of State Hiliary Clinton over her mishandling of top secret documents when she was running for President. Now they are all outraged when the FBI did the same to Donald Trump. Now they are calling for acts of violence and defunding the agency and calling them wolves wanting to eat the american people. This was same tactic that backfired on Jan 6 when they were on the recieving end of the lies that Trump spouted and were calling for Law Enforcement to get them out.
    Last edited by Lysander; 08-12-2022, 06:12 PM. Reason: awful spelling mistakes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X