X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeB
    replied
    You know about as much as I know, which is not very much. Companies will do what companies do, make profit. Im optimistic that one day the IP will fall on the hands of a company that truly cares for WOD.

Leave a comment:

• Darksider
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeB View Post
    My post was edited as a hoax, now I truly wonder with the latest CCP announcement if this "rumor" may have been 'insider' leak.
    As of now they have stated they aren't selling the IP.

Leave a comment:

• Shock
    replied
    Originally posted by Leaper View Post
    If these rumors are true, it's unlikely that the IP will be given to Onyx Path over the highest bidder. CCP is a business, after all. Perhaps another software company like Electronic Arts or Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax Media, would purchase the IP, as tabletop rpgs aren't exactly doing the best business nowadays.
    Perhaps another software company like Electronic Arts or Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax Media
    Electronic Arts
    Please excuse me. I have the sudden urge to acquire absinthe and some Adderall. With any luck, I wouldn't end up in Ohio again.

Leave a comment:

• JoeB
    replied
    My post was edited as a hoax, now I truly wonder with the latest CCP announcement if this "rumor" may have been 'insider' leak.
    Last edited by JoeB; 04-15-2014, 01:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stupid Loserman
    replied
    Thanks for the heads-up. Teaches me once again to always check my sources.

Leave a comment:

• Darksider
    replied
    It's a hoax/troll story, as pointed out in the comments section of the linked article.

Leave a comment:

• Leaper
    replied
    Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
    and a shit ton of paperwork. On paper they didn't buy white wolf, they merged with them. So selling off everything White Wolf would first require inventory, documentation and discovery of what all that actually includes.

Think of it like a divorce where everything is contested, you need to know what is owned before the lawyers can argue over who gets it.
    Ah, I see.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Gone
    replied
    But isn't White Wolf more like a brand name now? It's not really a company anymore, not even a merged one. So basically White Wolf is just an IP now, right? I wouldn't think that'd be too hard to sell off.

Of course, I don't really know a thing about it so maybe it's more difficult than it seems...

Leave a comment:

• Odd_Canuck
    replied
    As I understand it 'splitting the company' would only mean letting a couple of people go at this stage.
    and a shit ton of paperwork. On paper they didn't buy white wolf, they merged with them. So selling off everything White Wolf would first require inventory, documentation and discovery of what all that actually includes.

Think of it like a divorce where everything is contested, you need to know what is owned before the lawyers can argue over who gets it.

Leave a comment:

• Leaper
    replied
    As I understand it 'splitting the company' would only mean letting a couple of people go at this stage.

Leave a comment:

• Tiresias
    replied
    It's more likely that those jobs were cut because they were no longer necessary at the current development stage of the MMO.

Plus, as I understand it, CCP merged with White Wolf entirely, so selling White Wolf would require splitting the company, which would probably be a legal nightmare. On top of that, if Onyx Path was able to buy Scion and Trinity, the lines can't be worth that much money. If CCP is really desperate for a massive infusion of cash, there's no way selling White Wolf would cover it.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post
    I'm not shocked by this news really, with every thing thats happened. My concern would be what happens to the OPPs rights to publish the RPGs. Will whoever buys WoD still want to honor that deal?
    I sure as hell hope so. Onyx Path's Mage 20th, Wraith 20th, Exalted supplements, future Vampire and Werewolf supplements all rely on it!

Leave a comment:

• Odd_Canuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude of Legend View Post

Maybe not. But I know that Onyx Path's Kickstarters and sales of their recent stuff(V20, W20, Exalted, Mummy, etc.) have sold extremely well. There's still money in it, if done right. If there wasn't, OP wouldn't be planning follow ups and content until 2015. Regardless, I just want to make sure the material is placed into the right hands. Onyx Path, in my opinion, are the right hands. As for the MMO? I frankly don't care.
    It's the difference between a bunch of kids clubbing together their allowance to "buy" the candy store vs a serious offer. The Ex3 kickstarter was one of the largest and most profitable RPG kickstarters in history, and it didn't even clear a million in sales, let alone profit. In it's current development CCP is sinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 million a *year* into the project. So if it does sell off the WW property and all associated rights, it's going to be for a serious chunk of money, not the kind of chump change the table top industry sees.

That aside... does atari still own the video game rights, or have those gone back? Because selling off the ability to make some new vampire games (and others) that are not MMOs? That could actually be a property worth something.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Gone
    replied
    I'm not shocked by this news really, with every thing thats happened. My concern would be what happens to the OPPs rights to publish the RPGs. Will whoever buys WoD still want to honor that deal?

Leave a comment:

• stylanski
    replied
    If these rumors are true, it's unlikely that the IP will be given to Onyx Path over the highest bidder. CCP is a business, after all. Perhaps another software company like Electronic Arts or Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax Media, would purchase the IP, as tabletop rpgs aren't exactly doing the best business nowadays.
    I actually had the same concern with Stupid Loserman but thought mentioning it wouldn't be appropriate, given the lack of credibility anonymous sources tend to have. What's interesting though, is this: "some of the potential buyers are not involved in making video games, and are only interested in the pen-&-paper RPG side of the studio".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X