Healing Crippling Damage for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Verzio View Post
    Well, yes, but most animals are invertebrates, so of course most animals capable of regeneration should be, too.
    The point there was more about the anatomical requirements that might be involved, rather than the statistics.

​It's a lot less metabolically taxing for a worm or a starfish to regenerate portions of its anatomy than it would be for most vertebrates.

Originally posted by Verzio
    Of course, the regeneration of digits distal to the nail bed is observed not just in some mammals, but specifically in humans. One can argue whether regeneration of a limb is fundamentally distinct from that minor regeneration of the tips of a limb or an extrapolation of such regeneration.
    Well, specify to me what digits distal to the nail bed refers to.

Originally posted by Verzio
    Similarly, regeneration in salamanders seems to closely follow the mechanisms of standard embryological development; insofar as a human grew and developed the limb once, is it alien or just an extrapolation to do it a second time?
    That's why I referred to things involving stem cells.

​And hell, a fully developed human body does retain some stem cells in a manner that allows certain regenerations. Hair follicles, for one.

​In cases where it doesn't, the differentiation that cells undergo in the course of developing from a foetus significantly complicates the proposition. I don't really think that's reversible in existing cells, or in cell replication.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
    X