Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exalted-Like Game on Kickstarter: Sine Nomine's Godbound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted-Like Game on Kickstarter: Sine Nomine's Godbound.

Before you ask: Sine Nomine is the company, the writer is a guy named Kevin Crawford.

Anyway, Godbound is an OSR (Early D&D-alike) rules-lite game wherein you play the titular protagonists, people who have been bonded to three Words of Creation that allow miraculous feats and near-immortality. You and your people need them; the original owners of the Words of Creation pretty much wrecked the world and turned it into floating debris in the endless fields of Uncreated Night, barely kept alive by the few celestial engines that weren't cannibalized by the Made Gods to create their miraculous artifacts-certainly not enough to allow consistent enough rules of physics to allow the high technology your ancestors once had (although they can be fixed, you're likely going to need to destroy several of those same artifacts to retrieve their celestial shards to repair the engines, and even if you're just repurposing an inactive one you're going to have to brave chaotic, war-torn Heaven). The angels have been maddened by grief and now seek humanity's collective condemnation to Hell for the crimes of their forefathers. The broken mechanisms of heaven leak power that addicts even as it empowers, creating mad parasite gods with a hunger even greater than the vain Made Gods. And the Uncreated Night is not uninhabited, with every portal that crosses it being a staging ground for invasions by eldritch creatures of entropy.

But you are a Godbound, and that means those same foes are merely worthy ones. What will you do with this power-that's a more pressing question.

Kevin because he is awesome, gave us the link to the imageless beta without you needing to be a backer: Here.

And here's the Kickstarter.
    Last edited by Leliel; 03-04-2016, 09:59 AM.

I thought that this would never be mentioned on this forum. Godbound is awesome, and can be used to play Exalted perfectly. It offers a much more simple system but the same scope of power. Plus it is completely possible to create any type of exalt from the start. This may be a serious competitor, and may catch the attention of those alienated by the high complexity of Ex3, or those who want to play exalt types not available.

Join the Strife

Comment

This is certainly very interesting.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

The big question for me is whether this game has hot daddies. And also:

Is that Fang Bing Bing ?

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

I saw the PDF of it a few days back and thought it awesome to read through. Especially with the less complex system. I may love my crunch, but my players sure don't.

I also love how it can be played as Superheroes in a Fantasy Setting (which is admittedly what Ex3 does too).

Comment

Kevin's games are fantastic. His rules and ideas are sharp, but what really stands out are his GM tools. I also tried out the game Godbound evolved from, and it was super cool.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator
            Retired CofD Lead

Check out my guides to Vampire and my indie games!

Comment

I would look into it, but I can't into d20. Not nearly as much as I can't into d100, but if given the choice between a success count system and a d20 of similar quality, I'd always pick the former.

Comment

Has anyone looked into running Exalted in Fate? I remember seeing someone attempt it somewhere, but unsure if that was here or on rpg.net.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                  Has anyone looked into running Exalted in Fate? I remember seeing someone attempt it somewhere, but unsure if that was here or on rpg.net.
                  A few years ago I ran a few sessions of Exalted in a Fate mod made by Mouse, who I don't think Iv'e seen on the forums since well before the last forum switch. The game broke off in the middle, but I remember it being quite enjoyable while it lasted (which, for the record, wasn't that long).

Mechanically, there's not much to say. It worked in the sense that it removed limiting restrictions, but thereby also removed structure. It was up to us to form the system into an Exalted form, rather than the system providing that form for you. I remember a player with a Slayer-type grappler character being very pleased with throwing an enemy from their boat so that it skipped along the water like a flat stone and exploded a small reef nearby. That's an Exalted thing, sure, but it's also literally just something that was said as a description of someone ending a combat. That's not saying it wasn't fun, though, and the system certainly didn't stand in the way either.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

I found a google doc of Mouse's Fate Mod.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                      Before you ask: Sine Nomine is the company, the writer is a guy named Kevin Crawford.

Anyway, Godbound is an OSR (Early D&D-alike) rules-lite game wherein you play the titular protagonists, people who have been bonded to three Words of Creation that allow miraculous feats and near-immortality. You and your people need them; the original owners of the Words of Creation pretty much wrecked the world and turned it into floating debris in the endless fields of Uncreated Night, barely kept alive by the few celestial engines that weren't cannibalized by the Made Gods to create their miraculous artifacts-certainly not enough to allow consistent enough rules of physics to allow the high technology your ancestors once had (although they can be fixed, you're likely going to need to destroy several of those same artifacts to retrieve their celestial shards to repair the engines, and even if you're just repurposing an inactive one you're going to have to brave chaotic, war-torn Heaven). The angels have been maddened by grief and now seek humanity's collective condemnation to Hell for the crimes of their forefathers. The broken mechanisms of heaven leak power that addicts even as it empowers, creating mad parasite gods with a hunger even greater than the vain Made Gods. And the Uncreated Night is not uninhabited, with every portal that crosses it being a staging ground for invasions by eldritch creatures of entropy.

But you are a Godbound, and that means those same foes are merely worthy ones. What will you do with this power-that's a more pressing question.

Kevin because he is awesome, gave us the link to the imageless beta without you needing to be a backer: Here.

And here's the Kickstarter.
                      What worries me about applying this to Exalted is what sounds like an escalation of scale. Heaven and Hell exist in Exalted, but they don't dominate Creation the way it sounds like the other realms do in Godbound. Is there still room in this game for politics and personal drama that doesn't come off as excessively petty in the face of the world ending the way a city-state game felt in late 2e amid the thousand dooms?

That said, much of what you wrote could be transplanted word for word to describe the fall of the First Age which pleases me greatly. I actually sort of wish the remnants of fallen god-empires were a tad more prominant in Exalted.

Comment

I backed it. Looks worth my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                          What worries me about applying this to Exalted is what sounds like an escalation of scale. Heaven and Hell exist in Exalted, but they don't dominate Creation the way it sounds like the other realms do in Godbound. Is there still room in this game for politics and personal drama that doesn't come off as excessively petty in the face of the world ending the way a city-state game felt in late 2e amid the thousand dooms?
                          I'm not done reading it yet, but I agree that this could be a concern. I feel it's counteracted by the system explicitly expecting homebrewed settings. What the book intends is probably more for the group to create their own little shard of the broken world to start out in, but it also makes it come easier to just officially remove the whole "end of the world thing", if you want to. Creation kind of requires you to buy into it more, making that harder to really feel comfortable doing.

Another thing is that the game text explicitly "allows" you to solely be motivated by filthy lucre or some other personal goal if you want. Looking at our own world, there are some big shit going down, but that doesn't stop many people who could have the power to help from not caring about it. Humans aren't rational. If we remember that, the question "why do I not spend all my time fighting against the end of the world?" can be answered in ways that does not make the character come off as unsympathetic. Based on such goals, the scope can be brought down to a smaller level.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post

Actually, yes. Thing is about the celestial engines? There's millions of them, several for each natural feature and small permutation of physics. The problem is enough were raided for parts that it didn't matter, and the Made Gods wrecked enough to the point where there's no small number maintaining things that don't exist any more. Heaven is more of a final dungeon than anything (only thing there with an interest in the world is the few Made Gods left, and the angels keep them in eternal check), and Hell and its angels are extremely cut off from the world (it dominates thinking, but because everyone knows the angels wrecked it in such a manner that it's impossible for it to continue its mission of purification-you need funeral rites to escape its gravity or Sammael's still-sane faction to sneak you out). The world seems to have stabilized with the death of the last active Made Gods; it's mostly found a strange sense of death-world stability over the past 5000 years. More than enough to the point where it could probably survive forever like this, even given the weird events the broken engines spit out on a regular basis. It's dying, but it's a very slow, very leisurely death better compared to that of the aging universe than anything.

Really, the most stability-threatening thing is actually the Godbound themselves, and they're also the best solution to the engine problem (once they get strong enough to enter Heaven without instantly being ganked).

Comment

So how in god's name does damage work? I'm really confused about the concept of "damage to hit dice". If anyone has the page reference to the explanation of hit dice that I'm clearly missing I'd love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X