"Does Ex3 break if I..." Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Does Ex3 break if I..." Questions

So, this thread is for asking questions about homebrew and changing the rules in Ex3. It is not for wondering why people are asking the question, it is simply for figuring out whether the thing the person wants to change will mess with the mechanical balance of the game.

My starting question is hopefully relatively easy: Does the game break if I let weapons with the MA tag be wielded with Melee?

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    So, this thread is for asking questions about homebrew and changing the rules in Ex3. It is not for wondering why people are asking the question, it is simply for figuring out whether the thing the person wants to change will mess with the mechanical balance of the game.

My starting question is hopefully relatively easy: Does the game break if I let weapons with the MA tag be wielded with Melee?
    Not in any way that I've found. And since there are a handful of MA styles that use melee weapons (Single Point, etc) I don't see there being any sort of problem with it. If anything, they're slightly weakened, since the Grapple tag really can't be used outside of MA/brawl.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

Again, not in any way I've found or seen, there's nothing so super special about hookswords for example that a swordsman couldn't pick one up and hack someone to death with it. I've changed it so that the MA weapons are the only ones usable with the MA's, not that they're unusable by anyone who isn't trained in a specific MA.

If it's a hand-held hitty weapon, use Melee; simple.

And I say that as a martial artist who does know how to use, to a degree, my styles typically associated weapons. Not well, but I know how not to remove my own flesh ....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

No, they'll just generally feel weird with Solar Melee on the fiction level. But it's mechanically fine.

Comment

Alright, so I want to play a classical myth-style hero of Greece, a Homeric champion of a city-state. I want to make shields more appealing as an equipment option.

What if I added +1 to Parry to the Shield tag? Does that completely throw off the math and make regular goons unkillable?

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
            Alright, so I want to play a classical myth-style hero of Greece, a Homeric champion of a city-state. I want to make shields more appealing as an equipment option.

What if I added +1 to Parry to the Shield tag? Does that completely throw off the math and make regular goons unkillable?
            It means someone who has maxed out their parry has 8, which is pretty crazy. Basically everyone's going to take one, as long as it doesn't clash with their character concepts and decisive attacks are going to hit much more rarely resulting in slower fights.

Comment

A milder modification might be to have Shields reduce onslaught penalties by one.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
                A milder modification might be to have Shields reduce onslaught penalties by one.
                Oh, I like that, that'd be good.

Comment

Does something break if i remove the essence cost for artifacts?

​I want to make a setting where they are more common and usable by mortals.

Comment

The essential issue I think is that a)they become a bit more of a must-have for PCs, and b)buying a ton of them is easier. So, for example, I think you're much more likely to get quite a few players who have artefact weapons and armour.

I'm not sure this breaks things, per-se, it's just an issue. But if you want them to be more common in your setting, maybe you don't mind all the PCs having them.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

Thats not a problem because part of the fun is having a PC with an artifact spear, bow, armor and ship.
                      Also to have a few of non combat artifacts with interesting effects like that cloak that allows teleportation, etc.

Comment

In that case, I think it will be fine.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

Keeping an eye out for people trying to use a billion Artifacts with passive bonuses or capabilities might be in order, though. There are good reasons D&D only allows for only one magical thing on your neck and a single ring in each hand, for instance.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post
                            Thats not a problem because part of the fun is having a PC with an artifact spear, bow, armor and ship.
                            Also to have a few of non combat artifacts with interesting effects like that cloak that allows teleportation, etc.
                            Attunement cost is basicly a universal charm. For a medium melee weapon for example; its a constant non-charm 1 dice adder, plus 3 raw damage adder combined into 1. So yeah just removing the cost might upset some balances in the game. If you are ok with that, go and have fun .

Comment

What breaks if I reverse how Initiative works? That is to say, making so that having it is bad, because it means you'll get hit with more damage the next time someone makes a decisive attack against you.

I find the idea that I need to take points away from someone in order to have the advantage in combat somewhat counter-intuitive, and am toying around with switching it (and various charms/effetcs that use Initiative) around.
                              Last edited by JayTee; 04-11-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X