No announcement yet.

Which New Pantheons do you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be good in the Companion or a similar book to explore extreme outliers. A real world example would be the gods of Bali. Bali's religion is a syncretic mixture of Hindu/Buddhist/ and Native Animist tropes. The deties might be allied with the Devas, but very distinct. Wiccan aligned members of the Norse, Irish, Greek, and Egyptian, pantheons would also be interesting. However the main focus would be the odd gods in real pantheons.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
      You're welcome.

Really, I'm not asking for anything huge. I'm not talking footnotes or anything. Something like:

“There really isn't much left to the Gaulish mythology, except for some fascinating artifacts and some vague references in the words of their conquerors. What follows is something built on those foundations.”

Up to a small sidebar.
      I'd go bigger, dedicating a whole supplement to Lost Pantheons (i.e., Pantheons that pretty much have to be fictional because there's not enough there to do something that isn't). Each would have its own in-setting reason why they're rarely seen or even known within the setting. At the very least, I'd put the Gauls and the Arabians in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        I'd go bigger, dedicating a whole supplement to Lost Pantheons (i.e., Pantheons that pretty much have to be fictional because there's not enough there to do something that isn't). Each would have its own in-setting reason why they're rarely seen or even known within the setting. At the very least, I'd put the Gauls and the Arabians in there.
        It's certainly an idea. I like the Gauls being a core-ish pantheon as the typical example of a dead pantheon, but we'll see.

Neall Raemonn Price
        Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post
          I mean, given that there will be a caveat in the front of the book warning students from using Scion for their myth and religious studies homework.
          We both know there will still be countless people who think the information in Scion is an accurate presentation. Back when Scion first got a White Wolf forum, they were overflowing with people who thought that stuff was accurate. :P

Comment

It's certainly an idea. I like the Gauls being a core-ish pantheon as the typical example of a dead pantheon, but we'll see.

Yessssssss. Do it. I'm even willing to help by translating the rare texts we have in french on this pantheon.

"And for my next trick" I said, "anvils!"

Comment

Originally posted by Evilmarmelade View Post
              Yessssssss. Do it. I'm even willing to help by translating the rare texts we have in french on this pantheon.
              Do you mean the Nemetondevos PDF by Bibliotech Interdite, or other French texts? Either way, toss me a PM.

Neall Raemonn Price
              Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Either way, i'd be happy to help. PM sent.

Comment

Is it still possible to purchase the Screen/Nemetondevos pdf? If so, I'll still hold with the trust of not passing along the translation I have. If not, I think my hands are untied and I'd be willing to give over, unless the original translator (who shows up from time to time) has issues with it.

The other French materials I'd hand around freely.

Comment

i just looked at drivethrurpg, and sure enough, it's still there.

Comment

Babylonian definitely. Gilgamesh, Enkidu, Ea, Sin, Inanna, etc... These mythologies were EPIC.

Comment

The Gaulish Pantheon survived. It became the French National Pantheon and Marianne leads it. Like several other pantheons, they changed their name and upped their game.

Comment

No. Please don't. Seriously, please don't do that, it would be terrible. It'll cause so many historical connotations and uncomfortable controversies.
                          Last edited by Evilmarmelade; 05-04-2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I'd love to see a pre-monotheistic Hebrew Pantheon, mainly of the Yehweh/Elohim/Baal theory, but willing to see any others. Although I know such a thing probably isn't a good idea in a country as deeply religious as the US, as it's undermining a core tenant of at least two major faiths using their own deity.

Otherwise I have none that I desperately love to see, I just can't wait to get access to the game and see how my ancestral pantheon (the Tuatha) are presented, as I love the myths and ideas, and want to explore the clashes between the ancient Irish morality and modern morality, and the idea of how a pantheon reacts to being 'censored' when a new religion dominates (please talk about the changes to the Irish myths when Christianity came). I'd like to see more explored with the current pantheons than new ones added.

Blue is sarcasm.

If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoDSix View Post
                              I'd love to see a pre-monotheistic Hebrew Pantheon, mainly of the Yehweh/Elohim/Baal theory, but willing to see any others. Although I know such a thing probably isn't a good idea in a country as deeply religious as the US, as it's undermining a core tenant of at least two major faiths using their own deity.
                              I'm not sure, myself. I feel it could be done, but it would require finesse and delicacy. Probably a sidebar or two clarifying that these figures are not the deity worshipped in the modern day, who may or may not be His own thing depending on what you and your group is comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                                I'm not sure, myself. I feel it could be done, but it would require finesse and delicacy. Probably a sidebar or two clarifying that these figures are not the deity worshipped in the modern day, who may or may not be His own thing depending on what you and your group is comfortable with.
                                Oh, I totally agree, it would have to be very respectful to three current religions, and would have to be one of the best put together (as well as stating the difference between a god and an angel in-pantheon). It's definitely something that should not be thrown in, and should not appear until a good way into the new edition. I just have a problem with the lack of anything Hebrew in the line beyond a Titan who might be the Abrahamic god or may just have 'borrowed' the religions.

Blue is sarcasm.

If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X