Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This rules hack is inspired by Mage: the Awakening's Arcane Experience. The idea is that you accrue two kinds of Experience Points: regular experience and Avatar Experience. Avatar Experience can be spent on Arete, Spheres, certain Backgrounds, and supernatural Merits; regular experience can be spent on everything else. There's also a bit of crossover in that Avatar Experience can be spent to increase Abilities that are associated with your Practice.

Avatar Experience is so named because it comes from your Avatar (as opposed to being earned by your Avatar). The methods by which you earn it are determined by what your Avatar is trying to teach you, and tends to reflect your Avatar's Essence. I'm thinking that they should also come from properly roleplaying your Paradigm.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I have a rough idea of borrowing loosely from the Mage Chronicler's Guide about its suggestion of a Milestones system; but I'm open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-12-2019, 10:08 AM.

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    This rules hack is inspired by Mage: the Awakening's Arcane Experience. The idea is that you accrue two kinds of Experience Points: regular experience and Avatar Experience. Avatar Experience can be spent on Arete, Spheres, certain Backgrounds, and supernatural Merits; regular experience can be spent on everything else. There's also a bit of crossover in that Avatar Experience can be spent to increase Abilities that are associated with your Practice.

Avatar Experience is so named because it comes from your Avatar (as opposed to being earned by your Avatar). The methods by which you earn it are determined by what your Avatar is trying to teach you, and tends to reflect your Avatar's Essence.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I have a rough idea of borrowing loosely from the Mage Chronicler's Guide about its suggestion of a Milestones system; but I'm open to suggestions.
    Wait...

WHAT?!

I swear I came up with the house rule I mentioned 100% independently. I decided to just split experience two ways, and "mundane" and "arcane" sounded very fitting, since it refers to the mundane world and the arcane world, plus they rhyme with eachother. Total accident. Anyways, by a huge coincidence I came up with a similar system through convergent thinking with the writers of MTAw. But this is a happy coincidence since it means I can look at MTAw for inspiration.
    Last edited by 11twiggins; 03-28-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X