Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Mage chronicles have you played or run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Mage chronicles have you played or run?

Since this is a new forum, why don't we talk about the games we've run or played, whether classic Mage with Traditions or Technocracy protagonists, Sorcerer's Crusade, or even Dark Ages: Mage?
    My spouse ran a game of Mage a couple of years ago, and it was our group's first WoD game. We played as members of the Tradition fighting the Technocracy and the Nephandi in a chamber under the Alamo.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

My favorite Chronicle was one that began in New York (Harlem Chantry) and eventually became Planet hopping, reality breaking mayhem. We played through the Ascension Warrior Cycle, but without ANY of the main protagonists. So it was this newbie cabal vs the likes of Heylel, and the Sofisticati, and House Flambeu jumping into the mix, and I think eventually we fixed the on crazy entropy dude by using entropy magic to remove every drop of it from him, turning him basically into a baby. He was then taken by Senex and raised correctly this time.

Comment

Very cool. Sounds like a great chronicle.

Comment

My main chronicle lasted for several years and included two Tradition groups and a Technocracy group in a shared continuity. One of these groups was Jupiter's Forge, detailed in Manifesto, and that group playtested the scenario in that book before going through the scenario that Judgment from the Ascension ToJ book is based on. All in all, we went through over four years of play.

Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

Thoughts at mobunited.com

Comment

Awesome, I remember reading those scenarios. Thanks for posting!

Comment

I loved Mage. I loved the premise and I was (one of the few) who enjoyed the debate around philosophy and physics that ensued. For some reason, my group could never maintain any cohesion, at least when it came Mage.

My group tried two “experimental” Mage chronicles. The first one was an Order of Reason/Technocracy themed game set in the Wild West (yep, like the WtA book). It had promise, but the group got hung up on whether or not it was the Order of Reason or the Technocracy. It caused some friction and we abandoned the idea shortly thereafter. [This was before steampunk was a meme. If the group had some sort of ideological cliché to latch onto, I think it could have lasted longer. Oh well.]

The second experiment involved DA: Mage. We adapted DA:M’s magic system to a game based heavily on Morrowwind. It had nothing to do with the WoD, but he had fun coming up with different ‘Fellowships,’ like House Telvanni, Dwemer Magesmiths, Mage’s Guild, etc. I have fond memories of this game. It was the last game that the group was together for; before many of them began doing silly things like getting careers and starting families. 8-)

<signature> something witty </signature>

Comment

I've made many games, some shorts about "Monster hunting", others longer about Detective or Paranormal investigators and so on. I am very confortable with Mage the Ascension setting (Revised).

I've plans to storytell things like one Cabala speed racing team, musical band or Academic/Scientific department of college.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post
                With the Revised Convention Books now out I'm putting together a Technocrat game with my group. Thinking about putting it up here on the forums.
                That'd be cool to read!

Does anybody else know of any chronicled adventures recorded somewhere? I've not had a chance to play pen-and-paper in years, or WoD games at all, so I'm mainly just trying to find examples and stories of such games online...

Comment

There are some cMage APs in rpg.net 's Actual Play forum. I haven't read them and can't testify to their quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post
                    There are some cMage APs in rpg.net 's Actual Play forum. I haven't read them and can't testify to their quality.
                    Yeah, I've had a hell of a time trying to find cWoD stuff in Rpg.net. Mostly was hoping for Mage and Werewolf the Apocalypse but it seems like only nWoD stuff is being played now. Hell, I even had trouble of finding old threads that used cWoD stuff, too. I think I remember seeing a few Mage: the Ascension threads over there though, maybe I'll check up on it again...

Comment

Originally posted by Ochre View Post

That'd be cool to read!

Does anybody else know of any chronicled adventures recorded somewhere? I've not had a chance to play pen-and-paper in years, or WoD games at all, so I'm mainly just trying to find examples and stories of such games online...

The White Wolf forums have those scattered about but they are going down at the end of the month. It is a big place and not a lot of time left to search though.

There are game based fanfics scattered out on the Web too, some of which have introductions that say they are based on actual game sessions though I am not sure if that is close enough to what you are looking for.

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, by the time White Wolf started publishing games the gaming group I was originally in broke into subgroups and one of the other factions I gamed off and on with for a while was heavily into M:tA which is where I started playing it. They ran two chronicles kind of side by side, one an open format crossover which was about an uneasy three way alliance between some Mages, Garou, and Camarilla Vampires to free a city from a Nephandi based coalition of the dark equivalents of the three. The other was a fairly standard but intense first edition Ascension War chronicle with the player characters fighting the faceless oppressive Technocracy.

When I started running WoD games in the group fragment I usually played with I started out with the then brand new “Chaos Factor” as the chronicle base. While the chronicle was weighted slightly towards the W:tA point of view it actually revolved as much around the Mages as it did the Garou with a few Vampire PCs sprinkled in here and there. As it turned out we only actually did the first part of the module, the chronicle took on a life of its own and soon wandered so far off course with complications that the heavy-handed deus ex machina book ending would have seemed like a letdown if I had tried to force the chronicle into it.

The first pure M:tA chronicle I ran that went much of anywhere (V:tM and W:tA were more popular in the group) was a delayed spinoff of that first crossover one. I was toying with the idea of an Orphan chronicle that did not revolve around the Ascension war and when everyone was reminiscing about the early days of the first chronicle I got the idea to take the sketchy NPC rock band composed of mages from the first scenario I ran and have the players make Orphan style characters for that. Surprisingly it really took off and weathered the unstable group better than I thought it would though it got to be a running joke that the lead guitar position was cursed like the Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor position in Harry Potter because ever since the original lead guitar player left they could not keep someone in the position very long (the stay for a few sessions types seemed to like to make lead guitarist characters).

Speaking of Harry Potter I did a “mirror realm” chronicle which started out in cWoD with students of various Traditions in a Council academy experiment that were out on a field trip fairly deep into the umbra when the spirit nukes kicked off the chain reaction that resulted in the Avatar Storm trapped them out there. They were picked up by a Void Engineer ship and long story short the students themselves got dropped off on a solid mirror world (yes it stretches the cosmology a bit) at a boarding school run by a friend (Dumbledore) of one of the PCs instructors from back in the days when he was something of an explorer, while the adults tried out a procedure to get through the Storm closed Gauntlet to their own Earth with plans to come back and get the students if it worked. Obviously something went wrong because the students ended up staying at Hogwarts. Soon after starting there the PCs uncovered signs of Nephandi activity and the chronicle from that point was mostly about their struggle to keep the infernalists from establishing a full beachhead and hooking up with the Death Eaters to cause even more trouble.

There were a lot of other chronicles in the group too, including one in which I was a player where I had a kind of ghoul Mage but those were the major ones.

In the group we mainly used M:tA second edition rules with a few things from First (and later Revised) mixed in. The only dark ages game that actually got played was the Vampire one and I ran a Wild West Werewolf one for a while. Almost all of the games used crossover rules even if all of the players were the same type (in this case Mages), with the abbreviated and inaccurate portrayals of vampires, werewolves, and whatever being used as examples of what the PCs might know about the others while the actual rules for the other games were used for the non-Mage characters themselves. While slightly off topic Aberrant (done in a kind of dark comedy style) was somewhat popular in the group as well as Trinity.

Comment

Right now were playing a game of Traditionalists right before the Avatar Storm thought taking place in the current year. We're using the Awakening system which has brought in Fate & Death instead of Entropy. In game the odd thing is younger Mages realize that there was a change of these Spheres but no real explanation and the Masters glib over it. It's coming to our attention that the Masters don't seem right, that they might all be in a form of Quiet. The Ascension War is heating up after a peace treaty gets broken and our Cabal is beginning to suspect there are forces behind both the Traditions and Technocracy pushing them to war. There are these shadow figures that are preventing Awakening, keeping the Masses callous to magic, and might be an organization all its own who Ascended and want to keep that power. Thats when we realized as players that were not just playing Ascension, were playing a mash up where the Awakening mages are another set of enemies. Pretty cool surprise and great use of all these books we got.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Sandman (Neil Gaiman)

Comment

Originally posted by Ochre View Post

That'd be cool to read!

Thanks. Yeah I probably will post it here, though don't expect anything before Monday at the earliest. With the upcoming long weekend here in Canada, we're going to playing our first session Sunday so I can't really say much until then. I would put up the character sheets and bios but I don't have them all yet.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Back in the mid-nineties, around the time Mage 2nd Edition had just been released, I played in a campaign that ran for nearly two years. Since, at the time, the Technocracy was the enemy of all things sugar and spice it was a Traditions game. It was a fun game but, alas, time has blurred much of the details of the campaign. What I can remember is that I played a Son of Ether, the Technocracy was very much evil (they sicced aliens on us.. from the movie Alien/Aliens), and we jaunted around the Umbra for a while (trapped in Arcadia at one point... this was also before Changeling: The Dreaming... so I think the Sidhe were very Irish).

This is a signature <-----------

Comment

Working...
                            X