Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Harbingers of the Skulls anyway? (V20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonny
    replied
    Harbingers who wear the Onyx Mask are Risen.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Regardless, the Harbingers aren't really Risen. While they're mechanically just Cappadocians with a little tweak in their clan weakness, lore-wise they're just Cappadocians with a little tweak in their clan weakness.

Wait...

Leave a comment:

• Lynceus
    replied
    Actually there are two Risen-only Arcanoi in the book, Fascinate, and Serendipity.

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    The Risen are basically the WoD's version of actual revenants (not the ghoul family Revenants) - corpses that come back to "life" to trouble the living. The inclusion of actual Disciplines for the Risen never made sense as they don't have vitae. I don't think too much should be read into that. It's along the same way that Lupines have "Disciplines" in the Vampire books, and vampires have "Gifts" in the Werewolf book. Those traits are assigned simply to allow an ST to just use the one book he has to run those characters. They don't actually mean werewolves have vampiric Disciplines or vampires can learn Gifts.

I think it's just the writers of Risen decided that Risen would probably interact with vampires a lot and therefore it was safe to make Disciplines the go to power instead of inventing near identical, but renamed powers for the same thing. That the "Disciplines" used by Risen are limited to only four is more proof that the Risen don't actually have Disciplines otherwise they could get the other powers as well. Thematically the Risen are tied to Wraiths, but in practice since the Risen interact with the Skinlands and not the Shadowlands, effectively it's not a Wraith game. It'd be hard to run a game with one PC being a Risen and the others Wraiths. On the other hand, it'd be fairly easy to run a game with one PC being a Risen and the others Vampires.

It does lead to confusion though. Despite it saving some space in the book, it would have been better to simply create Risen-only Arcanoi. I know there is one fan made version of the Risen which did just that.

Leave a comment:

• Matt the Bruins fan
    replied
    Lore of the Bloodlines has a merit that seems to indicate at least some of the Harbingers are Risen, but reanimating a vampire body rather than a normal human corpse.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    The Harbringers are actually a collection of three groups of vampires:

The "stereotypical" Harbringers were the survivors of the Feast of Folly where the Cappadocian Antedeluvian decided to cull his Clan after deciding they'd become too numerous and undedicated to his ideals while he was lost in one of his long episodes of study. He summoned most of the Clan to one of their secret lairs, and then ended up judging half of them unworthy before opting to bury them and destroy the warren on top of them before having a necromantic seal placed on it. Some of them managed to use their mastery of necromancy to escape. They are the most visible part of the Harbringers because they're the most active in the Sabbat in order to take down the Giovanni, and specifically Augustus, since going after a 3rd Generation vampire is the Sabbat's thing.

The second group are the ones that resisted the call to the Feast of Folly in the first place. Having focused on stealth and survival, they're less open in their activities with other vampires, though they're generally disgusted with what happened to their Clan. They tend to be more focused on rebuilding the Clan of Dead in the image of the 4th Gen Lazarus having lost faith in the original Antedeluvian's ways.

The last group were simply Cappadocians that, as noted, spent so much time in the Underworld they just missed all sorts of stuff going on in vampire politics.

What unites them (beyond all being remnants of the Cappadocians before Augustus ate their Antedeluvian), is that all three found their way to the Tal'mahe'Ra's base within the Underworld, and got on board with the True Black Hand.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynceus View Post
    So I recently went to my mom's basement and recovered a giant plastic tub of all my old White Wolf books. And I got to looking at the fringe and strange ones, in this instance, The Risen. For those who don't know, this sourcebook is somewhat inspired by The Crow, as it involves Wraiths who manage to come back to life, resurrected into immortal bodies, with a mix of both Wraith powers (Arcanoi) and even some Disciplines. Which got me to wondering- are the Harbingers of Skulls just Risen?
    Nope. They are vampires who have been in the Underworld for way-way too long.

Leave a comment:

• What are the Harbingers of the Skulls anyway? (V20)

So I recently went to my mom's basement and recovered a giant plastic tub of all my old White Wolf books. And I got to looking at the fringe and strange ones, in this instance, The Risen. For those who don't know, this sourcebook is somewhat inspired by The Crow, as it involves Wraiths who manage to come back to life, resurrected into immortal bodies, with a mix of both Wraith powers (Arcanoi) and even some Disciplines. Which got me to wondering- are the Harbingers of Skulls just Risen?
Working...
X