X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Ediition Updates?

Whats going on with Vampire 4th?

OPP is no longer developing V4.

The new White Wolf owned by Paradox is developing a new Edition.They are planning to release it after OPP has finished the 20th Anniversary Editions.

Comment

If I remember correctly it's not after when the 20th editions end. Those are going to continue on with no end in sight.

Pretty sure white wolf will release their edition whenever they finish it.

But ya no real news besides u can get some insight about their vision of the world of darkness in the new bns werewolf larp book apparently.

Comment

I'm not sure we have 100% confirmation on Paradox not releasing anything until the 20th books are done as a specific consideration. I think the bigger factor is that while WWP is heading development of the new edition, they're still going to lean heavily on OPP's pool regulars to actually write it, so they need them to clear projects of their tables to devote time to the new edition.

WWP via Martin especially have also made it clear that they're still very early in conceptual design considerations for where they want to take the new edition. Basically a lot more big decisions need to be made to even start developing the book because they'll strongly influence lots of aspects to of it.

Comment

I've noticed most 4th ed threads tend to vanish

Comment

I'm not excited for it.

I've also had a thread about it get deleted before, so keep that it mind.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

I’m really-curious/kinda-excited about what Paradox does with everything. Consolidate, streamline, condense, destroy, rearrange, fabricate whatever; I don’t care. Paradox has a passion for roleplaying, a desire to move the IPs forward, and [seem to] have the confidence of all the old-school WW’ers/current OP’ers.
              Besides, whatever happens with Fourth Edition will be better than what CCP had in store for it, which - as far as I can tell - would have been zilch.

So, yeah, “Fourth Edition, Huzah!”

<signature> something witty </signature>

Comment

From what I've heard rumor-wise they are still really just in an idea-phase discussing how much a continuation and how much a reboot the 4th ed will be. So, don't expect any news about it in any foreseeable future.

Just enjoy V20 like the rest of us. I have no hurry for a new ed with all this great stuff coming out from OPP.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  I'm not excited for it.

I've also had a thread about it get deleted before, so keep that it mind.
                  I suspect that your thread was deleted because it contained an unverified quote attributed to an OPP employee that was sourced from 4chan.

Personally, I have mixed feelings regarding VtM4. If it's a complete reboot, then it could be awesome. If it's a continuation of the game post-Gehenna, then it will probably be terrible. Most likely it will probably be somewhere between the two, and depending on how that is done it could be either good or bad. As IgnyteZero said, it will be a while before we really see anything concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post
                    From what I've heard rumor-wise they are still really just in an idea-phase discussing how much a continuation and how much a reboot the 4th ed will be. So, don't expect any news about it in any foreseeable future.
                    To take this out of "heard rumors" this has been fairly openly stated by the new WWP folks (though that's growing to be old news; who knows how long that will apply). The presentation was in December at Tenebrea Noctis (which is on YouTube), so people can hear if from them directly. They are definitely talking about longer term plans though, not stuff for this upcoming year.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

To take this out of "heard rumors" this has been fairly openly stated by the new WWP folks (though that's growing to be old news; who knows how long that will apply). The presentation was in December at Tenebrea Noctis (which is on YouTube), so people can hear if from them directly. They are definitely talking about longer term plans though, not stuff for this upcoming year.
                      Well, my source also said they were leaning more towards a reboot currently. But I kept the post vague... because although I know my source is probably correct... It's way to early to build assumptions on it. So maybe I should just have shut up Since in reality I guess I didn't have anything to add except: "We'll just have to wait and see", which is old news indeed.

Comment

I would like a continuation absent the gehenna/apocalypse/ascension material. I always viewed all of that material in the metaplot for build up for when you wanted to run the apocalypse for your game. I'm not a fan of trying to build in 'age of apocalypse' or a stalled gehenna plot line. As far as a reboot? Depends on how they handle it. If its still the game we all loved and enjoyed with better systematics and not quite as convoluted and sometimes contradictory story elements, great. If it starts creating improbable alliances or dividing the core of the games in ways that make it not at all resembling the old, I'll be very disappointed. Theres really no reason a smart GM can't advance and include any real world events into his 20th anny game. So no reason to buy a 4th edition that isn't even the same game.

Comment

On the other hand, what's the point of buying a 4th edition that is the same game? Minor tweaks and a bit of polish does not make for an interesting book.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Comment

Originally posted by Exalted Viovode View Post
                            I would like a continuation absent the gehenna/apocalypse/ascension material. I always viewed all of that material in the metaplot for build up for when you wanted to run the apocalypse for your game. I'm not a fan of trying to build in 'age of apocalypse' or a stalled gehenna plot line. As far as a reboot? Depends on how they handle it. If its still the game we all loved and enjoyed with better systematics and not quite as convoluted and sometimes contradictory story elements, great. If it starts creating improbable alliances or dividing the core of the games in ways that make it not at all resembling the old, I'll be very disappointed. Theres really no reason a smart GM can't advance and include any real world events into his 20th anny game. So no reason to buy a 4th edition that isn't even the same game.
                            Originally posted by Telgar View Post
                            On the other hand, what's the point of buying a 4th edition that is the same game? Minor tweaks and a bit of polish does not make for an interesting book.
                            I have to side with Telgar here. While as the game is now what I'd prefer is not a new edition. But a big retcon-module that polishes up some of the Final Nights/Gehenna extremes and just adds some general rule updates and errata to V20 as it is. A module that brings the metaplot into today. But that's not what we're getting, we're getting a whole new edition. And to make that interesting they'd have to do something more drastical, give it an edge. Otherwise most of us would think: "I'll just keep on playing V20". So expectations to see changes regarding to clan numbers, generation-mechanics, discipline-mechanics and sect-setups and sect-dynamics is justified.

My big fear is that they either take the changes too far, so it will feel more like a "Vampire: The Something Else" (which we already got in Requiem and why would we need another similar vampire game?) rather than "Vampire: The Masquerade", or that if it's a sort of reboot that it's a total reboot, resetting the metaplot and rules on square one. While theoretically interesting that might alienate a lot of us. At least I myself would just let that book collect dust, and continue with V20 in both of those cases.

My faith lies in that Martin and WWP knows the value of the metaplot. After all it's what make an investment on the trademark interesting, and what they seem to want to pursue (hence the distinction between World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness).

Comment

You know how there were a ton of cool things in the Star Wars Extended Universe, but then the prequels and the new movies kicked the EU to the curb because parts of it were mind-bendingly insane? And it was ok, because the coolest, most interesting parts of the EU survived anyway, but recontextualized and made cohesive? That's what I want to see.

Admittedly, I could do without the midichlorians, Jar Jar Binkses and a few other things, but if we get a The Force Awakens to oWoD's Return of the Jedi... I'll be pretty happy.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Comment

Working...
                              X