Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

Happy that quote got a reaction lol.

I actually only came up with it in the spot, but I've always felt Beasts beliefs on it would range from "the exarchs represent harsh Truths, much like us.", to "the Lie is not a good thing...if you're human" to "disgustingly similar to the breach of agency heroes represent, except in a scale even we can't imagine"

One very real possibility I see, is that Beasts come to their understanding of mages through the Astral Aeons alongside interacting with mages. I think one reaction possible is that Beasts see the Arcana as a natural aspect of humanity and its place in the collective consciousness, and may see exarchal influence as an artifical stamping out of true enlightenment and self determinations Beasts may see themselves as representative of.
    It bugged me when I read it, and I was about to go "Why would they disbelieve the idea of the Lie and the Exarchs or otherwise get defensive about it?" and was about to just explain what was wrong with that-and then got stopped by realizing I had never actually thought about it and did not have a half-articulated response to flesh out.

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      It bugged me when I read it, and I was about to go "Why would they disbelieve the idea of the Lie and the Exarchs or otherwise get defensive about it?" and was about to just explain what was wrong with that-and then got stopped by realizing I had never actually thought about it and did not have a half-articulated response to flesh out.
      Gotcha. Again, it was just a quote I thought of for coolness sake

If I were to think on what has caused that Beast to view the Lie in such a way as complementary to itself. The Begotten's place in the world is as monsters born of humanity, to test them and reveal to them why their fears are tor good reason. The Lie and perhaps exarchs as the Begotten may see them, are born not of human fears, but of human evils. Evils that humanity can overcome, yet must understand as coming from their own souls. All said, this is strictly from a beast point of view. If I were to do a Cross-over I would focus on themes of self actualization between the splats, rather than questions regarding the state of humanity and relationship of those who Dreamed in the sleeping Lie to those of the supernal

Comment

• Is it possible for a Beast to have the soul of small, ordinary creatures that would be considered mythological? For example, ravens and magpies, such as Odin's ravens Munnin and Huginn, and Apollo's white raven (which could be Ugallu?) Or could any ordinary creature be applicable since it's called Beast: The Primordial?

Comment

• Originally posted by Omichli View Post
          Is it possible for a Beast to have the soul of small, ordinary creatures that would be considered mythological? For example, ravens and magpies, such as Odin's ravens Munnin and Huginn, and Apollo's white raven (which could be Ugallu?) Or could any ordinary creature be applicable since it's called Beast: The Primordial?
          Same answer. Cryptids run the gamut from bizarre to plain-but-famous, albeit with time they're bound to get a bit weird as the story picks up extra angles.

Human imagination and anxiety mixed with the trend for spiritual power to correlate to Size and the Primordial Dream's ability to mess with a Horror's effective size for the purposes of navigating its own hunting grounds mean most Horrors will not actually be small — they're the same Size as their human counterparts, and even a Size 4 Small-Framed Horror is big enough to be menacing in its context — but Beasts can absolutely have Horrors whose horror doesn't come from overt supernatural qualities.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Omichli View Post
            Is it possible for a Beast to have the soul of small, ordinary creatures that would be considered mythological? For example, ravens and magpies, such as Odin's ravens Munnin and Huginn, and Apollo's white raven (which could be Ugallu?) Or could any ordinary creature be applicable since it's called Beast: The Primordial?
            While there are no particular Atavisms that might mythologically take advantage of smallness (Well, Infestation a little bit), nothing precludes the Horror from being a small thing.

People get a little hung up on "game about mythological creatures" in some ways. While dragons and phoenixes and giant squids are certainly on the list, the mythos extends beyond what we might consider fictional and into realms both historical and personal. The rat who bore the black plague, the cat you accidentally killed trying to help it, the eagle rendered icon for a highly troubled nation*-all of these are mytholgoical in their own ways, and so a Horror born from atavistic humanity may wear any of these faces.

*If I ever get to do a section on Astral Gods as Beasts appraoch the subject, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm putting in the Imperial Eagle.

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Working...
            X