Kith & Kin Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JJBooklord42 View Post
    hi, i was wondering, if someone could tell me how many kiths are in this book
    About 51 kiths are in the book. Maybe 52. I counted by hand and forgot the exact number.

Comment

Originally posted by Thenomain View Post
      About 51 kiths are in the book. Maybe 52. I counted by hand and forgot the exact number.
      Whoah, thanks so much

Comment

Should probably bump this for the non-kickstarter crowd, given that it's available at DTRPG now.

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

So I’m curious, how many people would handwave the environmental effects of being in space? I personally would just completely not care about void and even certain atmosphere, but certain places are just too extreme for me to ignore. *Looks at Venus* I mean, I’m sure the wishing road side is survivable, but the acid, horrific heat, and insane atmospheric pressure on our side just pushes way past survivable. Of course, this is Changeling, a Hob is going to sell environmental protection for a cup of freshly squeezed Moonberry juice.

Edit: also the book is amazing. Haven’t read everything yet, but I love everything I have!

To whomever reads this, I hope you have a good day/night. May you be Happy.

So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
            So I’m curious, how many people would handwave the environmental effects of being in space? I personally would just completely not care about void and even certain atmosphere, but certain places are just too extreme for me to ignore. *Looks at Venus* I mean, I’m sure the wishing road side is survivable, but the acid, horrific heat, and insane atmospheric pressure on our side just pushes way past survivable. Of course, this is Changeling, a Hob is going to sell environmental protection for a cup of freshly squeezed Moonberry juice.

Edit: also the book is amazing. Haven’t read everything yet, but I love everything I have!
            I personally would, though admittedly I haven't been concerned with actual planetary visitation-the moon and the stars have been enough for me, and if I were to address the other planets (primarily Venus and Mars), I imagine I'd still be more interested in Hedge-adjacent spaces rather than their Ironside incarnation.

Also, it leads to the hilarious crossover problem of "Oh no, our werewolf friends want to jump a void leviathan as early as possible,but are affected by small things like lack of gravity and breathable air! What do we doooooooo?"

Comment

Would hexes and curses fall closer to sealing like rather than oaths? Meaning, can they target non fae creatures, mortals or other supernaturals.

Comment

Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post

I would use a common Goblin fruit or Oddment to shield from armospheric effects, and more uncommon ones for the other problems

Comment

Maybe there are superweird kiths or Seemings that actually are adapted to life on other planets, but would find Earth life harmful and they gravitate to these outer freeholds.

I'd imagine their Clarity is a little fragile due to a lack of human interaction, with a lot more time spent looking for ways to balance it artificially. But they have an innate defense against infiltration, as the freeholds are small and would probably know everyone in their territory. So a huntsman can't just come in disguised as a delivery driver, they have to hide their tell while replacing a well-known freehold member or local hob
                  Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 11-17-2022, 01:21 PM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    Also, it leads to the hilarious crossover problem of "Oh no, our werewolf friends want to jump a void leviathan as early as possible,but are affected by small things like lack of gravity and breathable air! What do we doooooooo?"
                    You say problem, I say we wrote that in on purpose XD

Chris H | Patreon | He/His | Currently Writing: Daughters of Hera (Scion, Nexus) | Rome 2e (CofD, Vault)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                      You say problem, I say we wrote that in on purpose XD
                      The two are not mutually exclusive. In fact, it's a plot hook if ever I saw one.

(Being a wee bit nerdy, I pulled up a scenario of a werewolf, changeling, sin-eater, demon and beast in a group facing this and started answering a) how each might deal with the vacuum of space (Kinship merit with the Changeling for Space Survival for the Beast[which leads to it's own sub-story], Demonic Form for the demon, a very particular interpretation for Tireless Hunter for the werewolf[which might also need it's own sub-story to ensure proper employment), and use of Shroud or creative applications of Caul[that I would argue need to be particularly found in some corners of the Underworld, so another substory]), and b) what's got all of them worried about it (So not just a Void Leviathan, but possible affectation of the Crypt of the Butterfly and golly gosh, does that possibly threaten the state of death, and surely this has nothing to do with an increase in Insatiable activity and, of course all these weirdos making such regular activity around the Lunar Freehold, no Huntsman could possibly exploit that. I could do a long chronicles just off of the idea "So, Luna wants us to deal with this Void Leviathan and one of my weird friends has a semi-casual way to lets us start our assault from the moon.")

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                        The two are not mutually exclusive. In fact, it's a plot hook if ever I saw one.
                        I know, I'm just teasing. It was defintely in my head that people would want to do a Lunar Changeling/Werewolf crossover.

Chris H | Patreon | He/His | Currently Writing: Daughters of Hera (Scion, Nexus) | Rome 2e (CofD, Vault)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                          Would hexes and curses fall closer to sealing like rather than oaths? Meaning, can they target non fae creatures, mortals or other supernaturals.
                          It's more akin to Sealings and can affect non-fae, yes.

Comment

• Was the fifth Royal Contract of Stars axed, or does this imply full Regalia are not bound to the 10 total 5-5 split from the core book?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gacha Pawn View Post
                              Was the fifth Royal Contract of Stars axed, or does this imply full Regalia are not bound to the 10 total 5-5 split from the core book?
                              There were nine in the backer PDF as well and I don't think there's actually an upper or lower limit on the number of Contracts of either type for a Regalia.

Resident Lore-Hound
                              Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

• I'm loving BriarNet, and loving the massive additions to Regalia/Contracts/Kiths.

BriarNet has so much potential for worldbuilding, and for more interaction between the Hedge and Ironside. Gimme those Darkweb Goblin Markets and Lightcycle Chariots pulled by giant Cybergeese. I want Hollows built into an app. I want Gentry who appear as rogue AI to torment gamers. I want Goblins tricking D&D players on Roll20 into fighting their gang wars for them by just playing with a digital battlemap and describing their characters attacking.

Non-standard Regalia being considered a forgotten, banished, and/or often primordial force is so foreboding and delicious. The idea that there are strings on a contract you've found that even the Gentry have forgotten? Ooh yes. A Good Neighbor trying to reforge a title they lost by looking for a Regalia thought to have been destroyed? I love all of this.

The sheer amount of character options added with the Kiths and Contracts is astounding. There are mutliple Kiths here that would fit several of my NPCs perfectly where the Corebook didn't have them. Obviously I homebrewed, but this makes it so much easier.

I love the new stuff regarding Touchstones, and I love the Heirloom system.

I'm really struggling with the Outer Hedge/Wishing Roads and the Hexes/Curses.

I was looking forward to the Outer Hedge, but in terms of systems it's awful. "You have to do Hedge Navigation Chases five times to reach the end of the trod" is horrible when Hedge Navigation Chases are just... the actual worst and most anti-fun game design I've ever seen, and especially when you have to pay such a hefty price to get to the Outer Hedge it makes me wonder why anyone would want to include it as part of your Chronicle. Especially when the actual mechanics of the "Spaceness" are left to the ST it just feels bad.

Hexes and Curses don't do it for me. Too open ended, too little of a cost. Apparently now Changelings aren't tricksters waiting for someone to trap themselves in their own words, they're just able to brute force trap someone into a magically binding contract without even accidental consent, and for the same cost as a pledge. What's a Pledge even for anymore? If I was to allow Hexes/Curses in my games, I would consider it to do automatic Minor/Major clarity damage that can't heal until the Hex/Curse is lifted.

Comment

Working...
                                X