Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salagimsim
    replied
    Hi folks! Ignorant questions incoming. I'm more familiar with the oWoD (including Hunter the Reckoning) - but I'm curious as to how the Vigil deals with some ideas.

How do you find each other?

The Reckoning didn't really give Hunters a way to detect each other - but The Messengers could certainly give hints - and the fact that we could clearly see each other's Edges (supernatural powers) made it easy to identify a potential ally in a fight (regular humans would rationalize away whatever they saw).

Are all your factions non-magical?

Hunter the Reckoning gave us obvious, magically-empowered humans killing monsters.

Vampire the Masquerade had some too. Vampires could feed humans blood to turn them into a ghoul - they stay human, but quit aging and can learn low-level Disciplines (Vampire powers) so long as they're fed Vampire blood once a month. They might even be candidates for full Vampirism - so they made loyal servants.
    .....but what if your Vampire patron is killed? Instead of seeking a new master - some ghouls would start hunting Vampires. Capture it, drain & store the blood, then kill it. A small group of (mostly human) hunters (small h) with fancy powers, no aging and doing a good deed by hunting Vampires.

Like - magic is a tool. Humans use tools. Do any of your factions go all Constantine and collect stuff? And if you do, how do you even identify it in the first place.

How do you deal with discovering the supernatural - and not joining them?

This is my biggest query.

In the oWoD, humans were deliberately kept in the dark by the big factions - and the few who were Chosen to Hunt basically lived like wandering, paranoid survivalists. The magical aspect kind of defacto ensured you wouldn't switch teams, even if you could.

What prevents members of the Vigil from seeking out Vampires (or other monsters) to become one?

Disclaimer: I know, out-of-character, not all groups are joinable - but I imagine that in-character, there has to be humans who... upon discovering these monsters... decides "wait a second, immortality and super powers sounds amazing". They could even go all Blade, using their powers to hunt other monsters - so why not?

Sorry if these questions are too entry-level - but some of my other oWoD to nWoD leaps have felt like missteps - so I'm just wondering where to look or what book to pick-up that plays with these ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Minty
    replied
    Hunter 2E is not out yet, nor do we know when the kickstarter will be.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Marcus View Post
    Is the 2nd ed. of Hunter the Vigil already out? Inwas thinking about a crossover with ViR 2ned but not sure if the manual is already out. And there are a lot of differences between 1st and 2nd ed. Especially on a power balance perspective
    It is not out, we're expecting there to be a Kickstarter when it gets closer, which would have a near-complete manuscript.

There was some playtests available with rules, but the rules may have changed since then.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    Is the 2nd ed. of Hunter the Vigil already out? Inwas thinking about a crossover with ViR 2ned but not sure if the manual is already out. And there are a lot of differences between 1st and 2nd ed. Especially on a power balance perspective

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Thanks. I have most of the books with 2e Dread Powers, but I can't remember which book that is in? Was it actually updated to 2e or replaced ?
    Not in 2e, it's a 1e power unfortunately. I don't know of a 2e equivalent but making one up wouldn't be hard: how about this one?

Faithful Servants
    A vampire with this power can bind humans to their will, creating faithful blood-slaves out of anyone in the vicinity. Spend a point of willpower and roll Manipulation + Empathy + Faithful Servants minus the human's Resolve, representing a drop of your blood in their food or drink, and a scene's worth of conditioning embedded in conversation: using a more overt amount of blood adds +3 but cannot be easily concealed (think Dracula cutting open his chest and forcing Mina to drink). Every success removes a point of the victim's willpower. If this reduces the target to zero willpower, their mind falls under your control; they gain the Blood-Bound condition. This power can be used on a given human only once per night.

Blood-Bound (Persistent)
    A vampire has bound your mind in chains of corrupted blood. You retain your free will…mostly. But when they give orders, it's hard not to obey. Harming them, or letting them come to harm, requires a point of willpower and a Resolve + Composure roll to even attempt. Resisting their direct orders requires the same roll but no willpower expenditure.
    Causes: The Faithful Servants Dread Power.
    Resolution: Become Beaten Down or suffer a breaking point due to this Condition's effects.

This is significantly weaker than Requiem's blood-bonding, but seems more balanced for the Hunters to have a chance against.
    Last edited by Draconis; 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by Draconis View Post
    Night Stalkers mentions using Control Emotion for this; it's basically the extended action for brainwashing/conditioning, but accelerated by blood.
    Thanks. I have most of the books with 2e Dread Powers, but I can't remember which book that is in? Was it actually updated to 2e or replaced ?

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    Night Stalkers mentions using Control Emotion for this; it's basically the extended action for brainwashing/conditioning, but accelerated by blood.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Is there a way to replicate the Blood Bond with Dread Powers?

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    1) I believe so. They all have Endowments in 1e too, if you look at the C&C book (which has its good parts and it's meh parts).

2) 1e or 2e?

Leave a comment:

• LeicsFox
    replied
    1) Are all Compacts and Conspiracies getting Endowments in 2nd edition?

2) Do elephant guns get any damage bonuses against human-sized enemies?

Leave a comment:

• Extant Reality
    replied
    Originally posted by Enokh View Post
    So I've got a player who would like to turn the merit Peacemaker (Hurt Locker page 42) into a Cheiron Endowment. Anyone have some suggestions on how to do this? It seems like it would shake out to be similar to Hand of Glory, but with less raw power as well as less downsides. I was thinking about having it a 3-cost Endowment, work like the 3 dot version of Peacemaker, be made from a specific type of Changeling's vocal chords, and replace the merit's drawback with the character's voice being perfectly recognizable to anyone that's heard it before. I was tempted to make it a penalty to directly lying (playing off of the whole Faerie thing), but it's for a character that's very social-focused, so might as well have it be something that doesn't directly interfere with what they're trying to do.
    Hey Enokh, what about this? "**** Luck: The Endowment stirs fate to work against the character in some fashion. The next roll the hunter fails automatically becomes a dramatic failure instead." I got this from the Hunter Core book on page 194. It seems thematically appropriate to the idea of Thaumatech using Changeling physiology cuz luck and fairies kinda go together anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Enokh
    replied
    So I've got a player who would like to turn the merit Peacemaker (Hurt Locker page 42) into a Cheiron Endowment. Anyone have some suggestions on how to do this? It seems like it would shake out to be similar to Hand of Glory, but with less raw power as well as less downsides. I was thinking about having it a 3-cost Endowment, work like the 3 dot version of Peacemaker, be made from a specific type of Changeling's vocal chords, and replace the merit's drawback with the character's voice being perfectly recognizable to anyone that's heard it before. I was tempted to make it a penalty to directly lying (playing off of the whole Faerie thing), but it's for a character that's very social-focused, so might as well have it be something that doesn't directly interfere with what they're trying to do.

Leave a comment:

• proindrakenzol
    replied
    Originally posted by Corbie View Post
    I have a question about the Marksmanship merit. Through the Crosshairs says, ​Usually, the maximum bonus from aiming is three dice. With Through the Crosshairs, it’s equal to her Composure + Firearms. Does this mean you still must aim for three turns or does it apply after the one turn of aiming required by the merit?
    It means you can spend up to your Composure + Firearms in turns aiming for an equal bonus. Basically, the base rule is that spending more than three rounds aiming doesn't do anything, but if you have Marksmanship then you are trained in being able to focus and produce better results by taking longer to aim, you're a trained sniper and you're better at making your one shot count.

It's for marksmen (hence the name), not run-and-gun types.

Leave a comment:

• Corbie
    replied
    I have a question about the Marksmanship merit. Through the Crosshairs says, ​Usually, the maximum bonus from aiming is three dice. With Through the Crosshairs, it’s equal to her Composure + Firearms. Does this mean you still must aim for three turns or does it apply after the one turn of aiming required by the merit?

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    so basically libertines, due to their excess and interest and doing things even other abbey wouldn't do, would likely have greater knowledge in influencing monsters along with actually knowing some magic of their own.

Thanks Ventrue Life and proindrakenzol! this was a big help

Leave a comment:

Working...
X