Falling blossom setting second edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling blossom setting second edition

I’m starting a game in the Dark eras setting falling blossom, the hunters in Japan. Hit me up with some cool story hooks, or play examples. I need story ideas please

Some of it depends on the scale you want to play at, but it's hard not to play to the theme of the unification of Japan by also having an ongoing plot of someone trying to unite all the monsters in the shadows of Japan.

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

I cannot remember if Falling Blossoms touched on it or not, but the tales of Bakekujira and Hyochakushin could make for good inspiration for town-scale mysteries and hunts that affect a place, its people etc. - 'weird thing comes ashore, strangeness follows' is a classic cosmic horror setup explored in a few Junji Ito works and at least a few pieces of Lovecraft-derived media, turning sacred and prosperous events into something cursed and dark

Comment

For scale we are playing tier 3 hunters, I don’t know if my players will prefer a local mystery in a fixed area or roaming around.

But I was thinking of having a sorcerer, probably a court mage, with plans to invoke the Night Parade of One Hundred Demons and turn himself into the king of Demons.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightsyko View Post
          For scale we are playing tier 3 hunters, I don’t know if my players will prefer a local mystery in a fixed area or roaming around.

But I was thinking of having a sorcerer, probably a court mage, with plans to invoke the Night Parade of One Hundred Demons and turn himself into the king of Demons.
          So, from a strictly professional game designer point of view, I must objectively and empirically point out this idea, here, is what would be academically called "a fucking cool idea."

Also, just because that somehow reminded me of it (somehow, I know how), I would encourage begging, stealing, and borrowing from Holic (you might know/remember it as xxxHolic, because labels are weird) and other such shows/manga (like Nightmare Inspector, Mushi-shi, Mononoke, etc.).
          Last edited by ArcaneArts; 11-10-2022, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I was thinking of having him be a Tremere and/or be a red herring that seems like a vampire. Mostly because I want to play the Japanese-esque Vampire in the Netflix Castlevania.

My inspirations for the game are :
            1 : my player really wanna play Demon salyers from the anime (Demon Slayer), I know it’s not the same period but I feel like the themes and mood are easily transferrable to the edo era. And the breath techniques can be cool endowments. (I still would have to come up with does)

2- samurai champloo, Ruroni Kenshin, Innuyasha, Samurai deeper kyo.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightsyko View Post
              Thanks, I was thinking of having him be a Tremere and/or be a red herring that seems like a vampire. Mostly because I want to play the Japanese-esque Vampire in the Netflix Castlevania.

My inspirations for the game are :
              1 : my player really wanna play Demon salyers from the anime (Demon Slayer), I know it’s not the same period but I feel like the themes and mood are easily transferrable to the edo era. And the breath techniques can be cool endowments. (I still would have to come up with does)

2- samurai champloo, Ruroni Kenshin, Innuyasha, Samurai deeper kyo.
              All good plans and references....with one minor caveat. Being Tier 3 and therefore probably Sleepwalkers, it's less of a problem than otherwise expected, but even still, the Awakened in general can be challenging opponents, and the Tremere are an antagonist for the average mage PC. Now, by the the time they're probably actually going to confront this guy, they'll probably have enough personal power and co-odination with enough people to mitigate this, but still, you want to try and plan in advance some of the ways the Tremere is going to particularly be occupied by the finale to allow for a believable chance, and make sure you string those options throughout fairly openly. There's a wide divide between the two, and it pays to think advance how the gap can be shrunk down on both sides.

Comment

Update: We gad our session zero. My player are a Lucifuge foreigner and Azusa Miko which we house ruled has maelus maleficarum endowments mechanically but shinto themed. They want a roamign adventure chronicle around edo.

My plan was to have the Antagonist sorcerer be their supervisor or mission broker. The court sorcerer is posing as a priest who exorcises evil spirits and cleanses sacred places.

He also has political influence over the Azusa-Miko, and I feel like the blood of the devil will fit well in his plan. My goal is to have him manipulate the hunters into aiding his plan of becoming the demon king without them knowing by passing as an ally.

Finally I feel like the night procession of a 100 demons, can only be enacted if a certain set of “events” or deals are made with different group of entities but I don’t know what yet could lead to it

Comment

Working...
                X