To The Strongest: characters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To The Strongest: characters?

I absolutely fell in love with this setting in Dark Eras, but lack the historical rigor to accurately feel grounded in it. Has anyone had a chance to play a To The Strongest chronicle or at least brainstorm for it? I'd love to hear the characters everyone played as.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

I'm in the same boat Lex, I really like the setting, but I'm hesitant to actually run it because I want it to feel authentic, but I'm still trying to come up with how to model each of the cults and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Gullinbursti View Post
      but I'm hesitant to actually run it because I want it to feel authentic
      I kind of feel like that should be the least of your worries, everyone from then is dead. Full on authenticity is impossible.

Comment

The Great Cults are not so much monoliths as shared cultural heritages. So you have multiple minor cults doing their thing but they have standing alliances with other folks who they agree with the basic cosmology. The cult of Heru and the cult of Wedjet work together against the weird foreigners who invaded their lands and agree to a form of mediation between themselves, for an example..

Or at least they used too. Now they are answerable to the same mundane(?) authority as those weird guys over there and they are having to deal with it.

At least that is what I thought the point of To The Strongest was. If you need to simplify, the Great Cults are like consiliums or convocations but on a larger scale and based around history, religion and philosophy. One does not just join, one is practically born into their cult...because the basics come from before the Awakening and the developed under a mentor who held to the old ways because they were right.

Or at least that is how i think it would run.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

For over year I preparing First Eastern Arrow Caucus as story to run in To the Strongest Era - still do not have idea how to bite it. I assume that all Vajrastra mages will meet and talk how they have common dogma - being proto-Arrows, I assume some duels or sports events even to showing who will rule them. In my particular story, it's one of 'Atlantean' Archamages ( probably more like Vedic era ones ) that is making this great gathering. Then I would run it as quasi Arrow Caucus event - with many cabals coming to spot, each with tradition of their own Great Cult. I assume to have at least for one 'cabal' of Karpani and Mantra Sadhaki, probably have also other Indian traditions representatives. ( Somewhere in 1E gameline there was mentioning of Indian kingdom/castes mage societies, but where was it... ) Will add at least one 'local' Tibetan cabal of Vajrastra.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            Somewhere in 1E gameline there was mentioning of Indian kingdom/castes mage societies, but where was it...)
            From what I recall you were told that Mage society defies the Indian caste system which might explain why you can't find it.

Comment

Yes, I found it - it's old Indian legend about mythical generals in Secrets of the Ruined Temple. I assume that each proto-Arrows groups would ascribe to one of them.

Originally posted by SotRT, p. 24
              Her Bed It Lies In India
              Questing Greek and introspecting Chinese willworkers also met in India, following up promising legends of Svita-Dvipa, the White Island at the center of the world. Here, however, they encountered not just secretive priesthoods or zealous kings, but a protective order devoted to keeping India’s secrets. Instead of leads to the White Island, outsiders soon carried back horror stories of water-breathing serpentine assassins, sentient lotus jungles hungry for souls, manticore guardians, many-armed martial artists of uncanny puissance, silent flying chariots of metal and glass and one-eyed stone giants with vast mental force but no intelligence. This shadow army struck back at any organized sorcerous effort to penetrate certain regions of the Indian interior, and guarded ruined temples and bustling cities alike at seeming random. The army’s nine commanders were yogi rishis, rumored to have attained immortality and proven to command mesmeric arts that stifl ed the air and destroyed the mind.

These Nine Lokapalas did not win every engagement, of course. Battle-hardened veterans of Alexander’s campaigns and mild-mannered Buddhist pilgrims alike found ways past India’s secret defenders. But what fragmented sutras and etched-crystal maps they brought back to Alexandria or Gansu raised more questions than answers. Each of the Nine seemingly originated in, or descended from, a different Atlantis:

• The island continent Rutas, of which Ceylon is the remnant.
              • Kumari Kandam, sunk off the Tamil coast of southern India.
              • The Vedic kingdom of Dwarka off Gujarat, sunk beneath the Arabian Sea.
              • The City of Seven Pagodas under the Bay of Bengal off Mahabalipuram.
              • The Sun-City Asgartha in the high wastes of the Deccan, destroyed by lightning.
              • The River Saraswati, mother of all good things, now buried in the Thar Desert.
              • The metaphysical dimension Lemuria, somehow “thinned out” across the globe at a longer frequency than even the Awakened can perceive.
              • The Naga empire, ruled by sacred serpents and shattered into the Andaman islets south of Burma.
              • And finally, the Floating Island of Matsyodari, which fell from the Moon.

Each Atlantis fell 30,000 years ago; all were off limits to outsiders by the immutable order of the Nine. Eventually, steadily increasing pressure by Muslim (and later British) mages pushed the Nine onto the defensive, and opened up some of the forbidden zones to brief lightning tomb-raids without much fear of reprisal. But, even now, some elements of the Adamantine Arrow ascribe to the Nine any mysterious deaths among researchers unsatisfied with Atlantean conventional wisdom.
              As I mentioned before - Mantra Sadhaki maybe biggest of Indian Great Cults, but this write-up points to at least 8 others. For my story, I will made at least one Vajrastra ( Adamantine Arrow ) mage from each. With add of Tibetans from Shamballaha and some Karpani Warrior-Priests it will look as proper Order Caucus then, based fully on Eastern Awakened only.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

One of my more experienced players wanted to play Medea from wood mage. I've been trying to design her as an archmage during the into the strongest era, but that isn't easy because she awakened long before Alexander got progress. I do want to design her, but its hard to convert.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
                  One of my more experienced players wanted to play Medea from wood mage.
                  You mean Path of Woods ( i.e. later called Mastigos )? I'm asking as in To the Strongest Era Paths are more or less stable and even called like modern, only with ending -os than -us - so Thrysos, Acanthos and rest of them with normal ending -os. Path of Forest is from the Sundered World, where Supernal symbols of Paths are very different, more primal.

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
                  I've been trying to design her as an archmage during the into the strongest era, but that isn't easy because she awakened long before Alexander got progress. I do want to design her, but its hard to convert.
                  If she is Archmage, she lost her Path on Threshold Seeking ( or rather build her own Path with Golden Road ). You do not need to over think her - having Path from previous life of Archmage can deepen their background, but is not necessary, as they use different mechanics.
                  Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-03-2017, 02:15 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Here's 31 character seeds for To The Strongest.

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                    Jnanashakti
                    • Arcadian: Philosophical “detective” who uses reason and Socratic questioning (think Umberto Eco) to solve murders and enigmas.
                    • Karpani: Calligrapher who practices the magic of the written word, searching for secret languages and forbidden texts.
                    • Mantra Sadhaki: Carefree poet seeking the stories, songs and fables of other supernatural beings.
                    • Weret-Hekau: Master of water and rivers, especially the Nile, studying magical properties of foreign, Shadow, even Underworld rivers.

Mahanizrayani
                    • Arcadian: Admirer of Aristotle’s Poetics who summons the Muses to help exalt and guide Sleepers through theatre and drama.
                    • Karpani: Freelance judge and Prime expert who reveals those who deceive others, and empowers those who stand for truth.
                    • Mantra Sadhaki: Ascetic who aims to inspire mages by generating Pneuma/anything else they need solely within their own body/mind/soul.
                    • Weret-Hekau: Spirit/Death/Mind unifier seeking to find commonalities between the ephemeral worlds and syncretisms between foreign gods.

Samashti
                    • Arcadian: Soothsayer inspired by Alceste who tests people by imposing character-building hardships or granting gifts they can’t possibly repay.
                    • Karpani: Quiet refugee trying to derive meaning from trauma of war, and lead Sleepers to escape the cycle of suffering that imprisons the Mind.
                    • Mantra Sadhaki: Thread-Cutter assassin who judges the worth of souls, cutting short beggars and emperors whose time has passed.
                    • Weret-Hekau: Devotee of Set and outsider, slaying the monsters who live in the wastes and chaotic places so people can sleep safe and ignorant.

Vajrastra
                    • Arcadian: Macedonian soldier who was with Alexander’s army from the beginning, now worried that the emperor has been corrupted by sorcery.
                    • Karpani: Warrior at Gaugamela, perverse admirer of Alexander’s brutal conquest, trying to draw magic from slaying powerful individuals like he did.
                    • Mantra Sadhaki: Practitioner of body-mastering yoga, would-be greatest archer in the world.
                    • Weret-Hekau: Aristocratic Nubian swordsman claiming magical weapons in the name of the people who truly deserve to wield them.

Acanthos: Wanderer tossed by a chaotic world who hasn't seen home in many years. Fearful oracle haunted by a monster within the loom of the Fates that lurks in their own undefined future. Disciplined soldier who takes oaths, promises, and contracts extremely seriously.

Mastigos: Gambler and game-player who uses games of chance and skill to practice a secret talent for strategy and warfare. Cartographer for Alexander's armies who deserted with a map to heaven. Introspective summoner who conjures their own dreams to serve them.

Moros: Soldier-necromancer who binds ghosts into each piece of their armor. Exorcist who resolves spectral hauntings and psychological trauma. Obsessive Orphean searching for their lost love in the Underworlds of different lands.

Obrimos: Eccentric birdwatcher seeking to become lighter than air and teach humans how to fly. Counterspell expert who dispels magic that does not serve the cause of truth and justice. Warrior mage who swore an oath to only use tools and weapons conjured with Prime from the realm of forms.

Thyrsos: Wilderness ascetic who reluctantly re-entered human society, but still prefers the company of animals. Hippocratic healer who uses Life to advance Sleeper medical knowledge. Trickster spiritualist taking advantage of the Alexander-induced chaos in the Shadow for personal gain.

2E Legacy Updates
                    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                    Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                      Here's 31 character seeds for To The Strongest.
                      I can't think you enough for these!

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I can't think you enough for these!
                        You're very welcome! I'm glad someone likes them.

If anyone reading this thread is interested, I'm recruiting for a PBP game in this Era, I'd love to see 1 or 2 more characters.

2E Legacy Updates
                        Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                        Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                        Storm Keepers

Comment

Actually that looks fun; let's see if I can't come up with some more of these. Here's what I've got for now

Jnanashakti
                          • Arcadian Mysteries: A scholar and poet who follows in the footsteps of Odysseus by seeking the insights of long-dead heroes and prophets in the underworld.
                          • Karpani: An impious Babylonian initiated in the Persian mysteries who follows in the footsteps of king Nabonidus by digging up ancient tombs and temples with the aid of magic.

Mahanizrayani
                          • Arcadian Mysteries: A an urban ascetic in the mold of Diogenes of Sinope, who brazenly defies social conventions to guide sleepers and mages alike toward eudaimonia

Vajrastra
                          • Arcadian Mysteries: A mercenary hoplite who finds truth in the rush of combat but cares little for the cause of the fight, eagerly seeking battle wherever it can be found.
                          • Karpani: An aristocratic warrior, trained from birth to ride a horse, draw a bow, and tell the truth, who now roams the Empire hunting bandits, raiders, and stranger threats.
                          • Mantra Sadhaki: A scion of a poor Kshatriya family, trained in war but forced to practice a lesser craft to survive, now Awakened and eager to perform feats worthy of his ancestors.
                          • Weret-Hekau: A descendant of military officers who fought proudly under the last native pharaohs of Egypt, who hopes to see Egypt reclaim its ancient glory and power.

Comment

Working...
                          X