On infiltrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On infiltrations

I was wondering. Participants of CoW are always aware of it happening, right? So in the case of entering Consilium building or cabals Sanktum I think it should be customary to drop all Veils to make sure that there is no CoW which would give away that you are hiding it. Or at least let the searching party to pierce it.
    And that's it. Either you have nothing to hide or you are unwelcome as a potential doppelganger.
    I don't have a book on me but the Masque merit doesn't seem to change your body so it won't help in this problem.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

I was reading the introductory fiction from Silver Ladder book, the one about the Nemean, and I find it impossible to recreate under 2E. Even if you win on a CoW against a lesser mage he will know that there was one and you are hiding something.

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
      I was wondering. Participants of CoW are always aware of it happening, right?
      I am not so sure... If somebody tries to penetrate Veiling with CoW, there is Clash of Wills. But if participants of CoW are always aware of it happening, they will always know that "there is something Veiled here", which kinda beats the purpose. Personally, I don't even ping active spells (not casting, but active spells) with Peripheral Mage Sight.

Comment

Originally posted by p.118
        Mages may spend Willpower to bolster the contested roll,
        and are always aware when their spells are clashing.
        If they were not aware they couldn't spend WP on it. It says spells I guess it applies to all CoW instances. So if for example mage is unconscious he can't take part in it and automatically fails. When they asleep they might be woken by it I think.

Comment

The magical effect itself isn't dependent on the mage being conscious so CoW should still apply.

Writer for Bloodlines: The Ageless on STV
          Some other stuff I've done: Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Might be true but I'm sure you can't spend WP when passed out.

Comment

That I do agree with. I just think a spell shouldn't lose effect because the mage is unconscious considering that spells remain even after the death of the mage, though unsafely relinquished if not previously safely relinquished. Clash of Wills doesn't actually have much to do with wills outside the possibility of spending Willpower.

Writer for Bloodlines: The Ageless on STV
              Some other stuff I've done: Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

1) If you lose the CoW you can't be sure you were actually attempting to penetrate a Veil. 2) Even if you're pretty sure, you don't know what's hidden and depending on the circumstances this might be all that the person who set up the Veil needs to further misdirect you or come up with some other countermeasures.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                  1) If you lose the CoW you can't be sure you were actually attempting to penetrate a Veil. 2) Even if you're pretty sure, you don't know what's hidden and depending on the circumstances this might be all that the person who set up the Veil needs to further misdirect you or come up with some other countermeasures.
                  1. Since they didn't lose the CoW, which they should do, you know that they are hiding something. If they insist on hiding something they are a threat. 2. The only way to do it would be to mess with memories of the searching party and you would have to do it in that same moment.

Comment

Am gon doo a spel fo it.

Under the Bushel (Mind 2)
                    Practice: Veiling
                    Primary Factor: Duration
                    Cost: 1 Mana

This spell hides will of the subject from others making it impossible to be aware of CoW against them. Others also can't spend Willpower on the test. ST makes a hidden roll of Power Stat + Power for an unaware participants.
                    +1 Reach: By blurring the edges of mages will the spell assures victory in uncertain circumstances. In the case of a draw the subject wins or rather the opponent loses by giving up too early.
                    +1 Reach: Instead of veiling the CoW completely this spell change's the apparent outcome to "Won".
                    Kind of like Shield of Chronos?

But it's not RAW and not many gm's would allow it.
                    Last edited by Moinen; 03-24-2017, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
                      1. Since they didn't lose the CoW, which they should do, you know that they are hiding something. If they insist on hiding something they are a threat. 2. The only way to do it would be to mess with memories of the searching party and you would have to do it in that same moment.
                      They know they had a CoW, they don't necessarily know why it happened though. Also, messing with their memory is just one option available to you when you choose to respond to someone clashing with your Veil.

Comment

Well. If you are at an airport and the machine beeps the guards know that you have something unwanted/forbidden. And you can't enter the plane as long as the machine beeps on you. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Also, messing with their memory is just one option available to you when you choose to respond to someone clashing with your Veil.
                          And frankly without examples this isn't an argument.

Comment

Sure, teleport the subject of the Veil away for instance.

Comment

What? I don't understand.

Lets make some background. We have a Spy that has loaded Veilings to be identical to a Compromised Cabalmate which now is hidden away in some folded shadow pocket. The Spy arrives at the door of Enemy Sanctum to steer the conversation of culprits to confession. They are in a middle of planning a treason so they send Obrimos to check the aura signatures of Spy.
                              Obrimos fails on CoW and sees the forged Nimbus, but he know that he failed a CoW. He says: " C'mon, you know the drill. Let me in."
                              The Spy responds with: "?????"

???? - teleport away?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍