Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cauthon's Homebrew Hub

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You can always make trees that grow the perfected organs, if you have both Life and Matter. If placed within a temporal bubble, you should be able to harvest them very quickly.

    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a hubristic Sycorian mage out there who would want to go a step further to create an astartes to fight the Pentacle. After all, if you have Life and Matter, then why not take the extra effort for biorganic augmentations?


    New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

    The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy whose invisible hands guide through the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post
      On an unrelated matter... Present as Past as a Master level attainment with reach assigned to Advanced Duration certainly, but what is better for the other reach: Instant Casting, Switch Primary factor to duration (so spend Mana once a year but lower Potency), or a different option?
      Same as my initial assessment.

      "Past As Present with Time In A Bottle and Advanced Duration makes you skilled in combat and social situations. As long as you can spend a point of Mana every week, it's always on. Predestination depression may start to set in tho."

      Since it costs a point of Mana anyway, and Attainments hard-cap the de facto cost at 1 point, it's a waste of Reach to not use Time In A Bottle. Switching Potency to Secondary is a downgrade, in my opinion, since the extra Doors in social situations hinges on it. A Scene spent activating a week-long effect is still pretty efficient, so Instant Casting isnt vital. As such, unless you're using Advanced Scale to cast it on lots of people at once, Master slot is wasted on it.

      EDIT: lbeaumanior Thinking on a specific usage of it as an Attainment though, if you DO put it in the Master slot, I'd actually recommend it as a mastermind planner Legacy. Scene Casting, Advanced Duration, Advanced Scale. Handwave the range. You spend a scene explaining how a planned job is going to go down, ala Ocean's Eleven or a Guy Ritchie movie. For the next week, your five-man crew (either five subordinates, or yourself and four others) are functioning with a preternatural level of foresight.
      Last edited by Cauthon; 11-24-2022, 05:31 PM.


      Monkish Asexual.

      I make Legacies when I'm bored. They're of middling quality, but have a look if you're interested. Advice and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Cauthon View Post

        Same as my initial assessment.

        "Past As Present with Time In A Bottle and Advanced Duration makes you skilled in combat and social situations. As long as you can spend a point of Mana every week, it's always on. Predestination depression may start to set in tho."

        Since it costs a point of Mana anyway, and Attainments hard-cap the de facto cost at 1 point, it's a waste of Reach to not use Time In A Bottle. Switching Potency to Secondary is a downgrade, in my opinion, since the extra Doors in social situations hinges on it. A Scene spent activating a week-long effect is still pretty efficient, so Instant Casting isnt vital. As such, unless you're using Advanced Scale to cast it on lots of people at once, Master slot is wasted on it.
        I love both Shifting Sands and Present as Past, the only way to have them both as potential attainments is to put Present as Past at Adept level, and either Disciple or Master Shifting Sands... Does it merit put SS at Master Level? Or it it worthwhile at Disciple level (instant cast of course).



        Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
        EDIT: lbeaumanior Thinking on a specific usage of it as an Attainment though, if you DO put it in the Master slot, I'd actually recommend it as a mastermind planner Legacy. Scene Casting, Advanced Duration, Advanced Scale. Handwave the range. You spend a scene explaining how a planned job is going to go down, ala Ocean's Eleven or a Guy Ritchie movie. For the next week, your five-man crew (either five subordinates, or yourself and four others) are functioning with and a preternatural level of foresight.

        Ha! Exactly what I was going for, a mastermind planner, heavy on the paranoia side (so lots of defensive powers: Mental Shield, Shield of Chronos, Constant Presence) and lots of mental enhancements (One Mind Two Thoughts, Augment Mind)


        See, these are my favorite spells (and the level for them), so it is hard to make Present as Past fit.

        Initiate
        Perfect Recall - Instant Casting
        Momentary Flux - Instant Casting

        Apprentice
        One Mind, Two Thoughts - Advanced Duration, "Instant Tasks"
        Constant Presence - Advanced Duration

        Disciple
        Mental Shield - Advanced Duration, "Goetia Attacks"
        Shield of Chronos - Advanced Duration, "Fabricate Timeline"

        Adept
        Augment Mind - Instant Casting, Advanced Duration (not sure what to replace instant Casting... a week is great time for this attainment even used multiple times)
        Shifting Sands - Instant Casting, "Scene Return"

        Master
        Social Networking - Advanced Duration
        Acceleration - Advanced Duration, "Dodge Actions", "Extended Actions"
        Last edited by lbeaumanior; 01-18-2023, 10:33 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
          I wouldn't be surprised if there was a hubristic Sycorian mage out there
          What's a Sycorian? My cursory Google search as not helpful.

          Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post
          I love both Shifting Sands and Present as Past, the only way to have them both as potential attainments is to put Present as Past at Adept level, and either Disciple or Master Shifting Sands... Does it merit put SS at Master Level? Or it it worthwhile at Disciple level (instant cast of course).
          At Disciple level SS will only take you back a few turns. Not awful, but easy to get caught in a quicksave deathloop.

          Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post
          Ha! Exactly what I was going for, a mastermind planner, heavy on the paranoia side (so lots of defensive powers: Mental Shield, Shield of Chronos, Constant Presence) and lots of mental enhancements (One Mind Two Thoughts, Augment Mind)


          See, these are my favorite spells (and the level for them), so it is hard to make Present as Past fit.

          Initiate
          Perfect Recall - Instant Casting
          Momentary Flux - Instant Casting

          Apprentice
          One Mind, Two Thoughts - Advanced Duration, "Instant Tasks"
          Constant Presence - Advanced Duration

          Disciple
          Mental Shield - Advanced Duration, "Goetia Attacks"
          Shield of Chronos - Advanced Duration, "Fabricate Timeline"

          Adept
          Augment Mind - Instant Casting, Advanced Duration (not sure what to replace instant Casting... a week is great time for this attainment even used multiple times)
          Shifting Sands - Instant Casting, "Scene Return" (does it make sense to put Present as Past here at advanced duration???)

          Master
          Enhance Skill - Instant Casting, Advanced Duration, Switch Primary Factor (Thinking of replacing it Social Networking - Advanced Duration)
          Acceleration - Advanced Duration, "Extended Actions", "Rote quality on Dodge" (does it make sense to put Shifting Sands here and "Scene Return" twice???)
          This is going to be where you'll need to go where the theme takes you. Is it a Legacy of paranoid theives who do their best work alone? As written, they would likely fall into that category. Are they instead using other people in their plots, assembling crews like Danny Ocean? Then I recommend switching in Social Networking, and putting Past As Present in the Master slot.
          Last edited by Cauthon; 11-24-2022, 05:14 PM.


          Monkish Asexual.

          I make Legacies when I'm bored. They're of middling quality, but have a look if you're interested. Advice and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

          Comment


          • The Sycorian is the Ministry of the Raptor, briefly described in Signs of Sorcery.

            Acceleration doesn't seem to match this Legacy. They have ways to remember small details, make good quick decisions, hide their thoughts and actions, be very intelligent, adapt their skills and undo small mistakes. They are all about improvisation.

            So for a final optional Attainment, I would use The Provisioner's Haversack. Sure, it demands an extra investment on Fate 1, but it solves their biggest weakness: having all the skill in the world and none of the tools needed to use them. With a nice backpack they can carry tools, disguises, provisions, glowsticks, first aid kits, ammunition, survival gear, research materials and much more.


            New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

            The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
            The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy whose invisible hands guide through the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
              Acceleration doesn't seem to match this Legacy. They have ways to remember small details, make good quick decisions, hide their thoughts and actions, be very intelligent, adapt their skills and undo small mistakes. They are all about improvisation.
              I could kinda see it working as an extension of someone who does a lot of work alone, learning to rely on themselves. To continue the Ocean's 11/12/13/whatever analogy, the Acceleration version reads a bit like the Night Fox from Ocean's Twelve - someone very good at executing a plan, although not necessarily any better or worse than anyone else at conducting actual planning. Subbing in Social Networking and Past As Present swings it to a Danny Ocean-style crew-heist planner, who can use Shifting Sands to keep the plan on track when everything starts to go pear-shaped.

              Provisioner's Haversack seems like an Attainment for Dora the Explorer (I don't mean that insultingly) or The Doctor, always having whatever you need on-hand.

              So Ibeau needs to decide where they want their Legacy to go thematically:
              1. Paranoid who relies primarily on himself, through the sweat on his brow and the skill of his hands alone
              2. Mastermind who is so thorough in their preparations that they attain a degree of near-prophetic insight
              3. A Crazy-prepared paranoid who has the gear and skills for whatever scenarios they can plan for
              4. Something else entirely
              Last edited by Cauthon; 11-24-2022, 08:24 PM.


              Monkish Asexual.

              I make Legacies when I'm bored. They're of middling quality, but have a look if you're interested. Advice and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                The Sycorian is the Ministry of the Raptor, briefly described in Signs of Sorcery.

                Acceleration doesn't seem to match this Legacy. They have ways to remember small details, make good quick decisions, hide their thoughts and actions, be very intelligent, adapt their skills and undo small mistakes. They are all about improvisation.

                So for a final optional Attainment, I would use The Provisioner's Haversack. Sure, it demands an extra investment on Fate 1, but it solves their biggest weakness: having all the skill in the world and none of the tools needed to use them. With a nice backpack they can carry tools, disguises, provisions, glowsticks, first aid kits, ammunition, survival gear, research materials and much more.
                It is about improvising yes, but being such a quick and good thinker that people look at you as always in control or absurdly talented.

                Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
                I could kinda see it working as an extension of someone who does a lot of work alone, learning to rely on themselves. To continue the Ocean's 11/12/13/whatever analogy, the Acceleration version reads a bit like the Night Fox from Ocean's Twelve - someone very good at executing a plan, although not necessarily any better or worse than anyone else at conducting actual planning. Subbing in Social Networking and Past As Present swings it to a Danny Ocean-style crew-heist planner, who can use Shifting Sands to keep the plan on track when everything starts to go pear-shaped.

                Provisioner's Haversack seems like an Attainment for Dora the Explorer (I don't mean that insultingly) or The Doctor, always having whatever you need on-hand.

                So Ibeau needs to decide where they want their Legacy to go thematically:
                1. Paranoid who relies primarily on himself, through the sweat on his brow and the skill of his hands alone
                2. Mastermind who is so thorough in their preparations that they attain a degree of near-prophetic insight
                3. A Crazy-prepared paranoid who has the gear and skills for whatever scenarios they can plan for
                4. Something else entirely
                Thanks for the ideas, I am more thinking of 1 and 3, with 1 being the most accurate of the listed options.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post

                  It is about improvising yes, but being such a quick and good thinker that people look at you as always in control or absurdly talented.

                  Thanks for the ideas, I am more thinking of 1 and 3, with 1 being the most accurate of the listed options.
                  I'd still agree with KaiserAfini then. Acceleration, while useful, comes off as more of a combat power most of the time. Provisioner's Haversack or Past As Present would be more on-theme, and I'd stick with Enhance Skill over Social Networking. Gain Skill might be more useful, but there's less precident for it based on the previous Attainments and what little flavor I have to go on.


                  Monkish Asexual.

                  I make Legacies when I'm bored. They're of middling quality, but have a look if you're interested. Advice and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

                  Comment


                  • Sounds like Blink of an Eye would be very useful to them, that way they can MacGyver their way into building complex things in moments. Need to install a complex defense system in the house before a Manananggal eats a Sleepwalker's baby ? No problem. You arrived at an abandoned smith's house and a werewolf is on your trail ? Silver bullets, heavy armor and provisions ready to go. The ancient Iremite rites will take weeks to understand ? Its done, you also had time to spare and made a gourmet meal.


                    New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

                    The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
                    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy whose invisible hands guide through the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
                      I'd still agree with KaiserAfini then. Acceleration, while useful, comes off as more of a combat power most of the time. Provisioner's Haversack or Past As Present would be more on-theme, and I'd stick with Enhance Skill over Social Networking. Gain Skill might be more useful, but there's less precedent for it based on the previous Attainments and what little flavor I have to go on.
                      I agree, but thing is I did not want to waste reach from the Master attainment, for Present as Past, one reach must go to Advanced Duration, but all the other options: Instant Casting, Switch Primary Factor, etc, are underwhelming and not aligned to the individualistic nature of the Legacy powers... Acceleration seemed the best bet given its initiative, extended actions and rote dodge effects (plus stacking Mana expenditures is efficient).


                      A couple of unrelated questions:
                      1. Since attainments do not cost spell control, could I cast them N number of times, for N number of people? Granting everyone in my Cabal / Consilium a Mental Shield for example. At touch range I mean.
                      2. Buff attainments that affect different stats do not cancel each other right? Enhance Skill on different skills or Augment Mind of different attributes stack?

                      Thanks,
                      Last edited by lbeaumanior; 11-25-2022, 10:52 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Yes on both accounts, it why a Legacy like the Bokor can build zombie armies or the Bearers of the Eternal Voice can rewrite an entire crowd's worth of memories without taxing their spell control. Even though they do not use spell control, the mage can still dispel them at will.

                        But while Attainments are not subject to Paradox, Dissonance and things that disable or twist spells, its important to consider the flipside. They are free from the Lie, which means no Quiescense to cover any slip ups. If you have a Levitate Attainment, for example, then human hunters will remember that you are supernatural. Similarly, if the mage can tap someone on the shoulder and make them go from barely knowing how to use a first aid kit to being as skilled as Dr House, then that might draw a lot of attention.

                        Its important to consider the public that will see them use these abilities or be exposed to them, which is ultimately dictated by the Legacy's philosophy and the Truth it embodies.

                        An example is that the Expeditious Explorers have very blatanty supernatural Attainments because they were created to explore dangerous archeomancy sites, they were never intended for use in everyday life, and I believe the same applies to the Benthic Walkers. But the Anima Meccanica are less explicit with their Attainments, which skirt the limits of believable bleeding edge technology. They chose that deliberately, to incentivize Sleepers to think outside the box. The Szary Staznik choose to make themselves hard to detect by both Sleeper and mage, because they embody the Truth of the mentor or aide in the shadows.
                        Last edited by KaiserAfini; 11-25-2022, 01:50 PM.


                        New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

                        The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
                        The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy whose invisible hands guide through the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                          Yes on both accounts, it why a Legacy like the Bokor can build zombie armies or the Bearers of the Eternal Voice can rewrite an entire crowd's worth of memories without taxing their spell control. Even though they do not use spell control, the mage can still dispel them at will.

                          But while Attainments are not subject to Paradox, Dissonance and things that disable or twist spells, its important to consider the flipside. They are free from the Lie, which means no Quiescense to cover any slip ups. If you have a Levitate Attainment, for example, then human hunters will remember that you are supernatural. Similarly, if the mage can tap someone on the shoulder and make them go from barely knowing how to use a first aid kit to being as skilled as Dr House, then that might draw a lot of attention.

                          Its important to consider the public that will see them use these abilities or be exposed to them, which is ultimately dictated by the Legacy's philosophy and the Truth it embodies.

                          An example is that the Expeditious Explorers have very blatanty supernatural Attainments because they were created to explore dangerous archeomancy sites, they were never intended for use in everyday life, and I believe the same applies to the Benthic Walkers. But the Anima Meccanica are less explicit with their Attainments, which skirt the limits of believable bleeding edge technology. They chose that deliberately, to incentivize Sleepers to think outside the box. The Szary Staznik choose to make themselves hard to detect by both Sleeper and mage, because they embody the Truth of the mentor or aide in the shadows.

                          Thanks for the answer. Is there any precedent (on 2ed) for Optional attainments using different Arcana?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post


                            Thanks for the answer. Is there any precedent (on 2ed) for Optional attainments using different Arcana?
                            No problem, happy to help. As far as I remember, normally the optional Attainment is of a Ruling Arcanum of the parent Path. Sometimes the effect can be expanded a bit if the mage has a dot or two in another specific Arcanum (consistently the same one when used), but just in minor quality of life ways.


                            New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

                            The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
                            The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy whose invisible hands guide through the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

                            Comment


                            • The Etnan Legion
                              Mages who've declared war on Death

                              Nicknames: Wardens of the Mountain, The Storm upon the Mount, Snake-Eaters, Thanatophobes (Derogatory)

                              Organization: Wardens enforce a strict military hierarchy when amongst themselves, although they will generally acknowledge those chains of command as secondary to normal Order lines. Each teacher is nominally the head of a unit composed of their apprentices, with the more prolific elder teachers becoming less like sergeants and more like generals. While the naming conventions change based on the region, each continent is headed by a "general" who manages any regional considerations. Since the Warden's mission has very little to do with the physical world, this post is mainly one of recruitment and external relations.

                              On a day-to-day basis, Wardens typically behave as normal mages do. When night falls, however, Warden units congregate in the Tenemos to begin their dreaming patrols against the Typhonides. Baggy eyes and a somewhat worn-down demeanor is common, although any who have seen their armored dream-forms knows they are more dangerous than they appear.

                              In a somewhat atypical tradition, Wardens who near the end of their life -and don't intend to seek Archmastery or Lichdom- will almost always produce a soulstone. The Legacy maintains an extradimensional vault of these objects, tended by a handful of "oracles" - Sleepwalkers Imbued with the Goetic Evocation spell, which allows them to evoke the goetia of the Legacy's luminaries. This vault is one of the few areas in the material world that the Wardens are heavily invested in, and every attempt to breach the sepulcher has been met with swift and uncompromising retribution.

                              Theory: Death is trying to destroy humanity before our appointed hour; our fall should be our eventual extinction, not the severing of our sentience! Typhon must be put down!

                              Background: All Legacies are predicted on some lofty goal; shunning the laws of physics, claiming the deep places of the world, bending the minds of others, perfecting the self, the list goes on. Even the humblest of healer Legacies regularly move heaven and earth to drive back an inevitably. The Etnan Legion, however, have a stated goal that rings more plainly of hubris than their contemporaries; to slay Death.

                              Well, not Death-Death. But the Aeon of Death, Typhon, which for all intents and purposes is an academic distinction. The Wardens believe that Typhon has either become corrupted or gone mad, and that his prolonged assault on the Spire Perilous is proof of that. To force entropy's hand is far beyond the Aeon's remit, the Wardens say, and such a power-mad tyrant must be put down and replaced.

                              The earliest reliable records of this Legacy come in the form of a full Cabal of soulstones; five glyph-scribed pendants found during The First Republic in the Athenaeum of the Larissian Consilium. As such, all modern Wardens descend from these stones. Young Wardens, especially those who think they have something to prove, claim to have communed with the evoked Goetia and Ghosts of these stones. These boasts usually claim the Legacy to be much older, with the true founders having inspired the myths of the Olympians. Many also take on affectations of the Greek classical period, taking Shadow Names such as "Hoplite", "Philippides", "Kratos", or "Callimachus". Elder members rarely make such claims, but do become oddly tight-lipped when asked about what the evoked Goetia actually have to say on the matter.

                              Wardens have typically been only loosely involved in Consilium politics, although they are experts on the Spire Perilous and often consulted on topics relating to Astral Journeys. Given that their crusade keeps them in the Astral for extended stretches, this is hardly surprising. Most will snap up opportunities to travel, however, using Herald and Lictor positions as an excuse to seek out new recruits. Such enlistees are most common amidst those who've encountered Typhon's spawn in the Astral, or those who've had bad experiences with Death Arcana being used as a weapon.

                              While not adverse to learning the secrets of Death, most Wardens are wary of relying too heavily on the Arcana whose embodiment they have publicly declared their enmity for.

                              Parentage: Obrimos, Pentacle Orders

                              Ruling Arcanum: Mind

                              Yantras: Greco-Roman armor and weapons (+1); Lightning storms (+1, +2 if the storm qualifies as a Typhoon); Reptilian teeth (+1)

                              Oblations: Capture a wild, venomous snake, and then throw it as far as you can; Face the wrath of a storm with no magical or mundane protection; Studying small-unit tactics

                              Prerequisites: Mind 2, Occult 2, Astral Adept
                              Initiation: Allow your mentor to summon a Goetic Evocation of their mentor-line into your Oneiros, then begin an Astral Journey alongside your living mentor to commune with this echo. Typically, this culminates in a Typhonide hunt, but in recent nights teachers have become more risk-adverse with the lives of their students.

                              Hearthguard
                              (Mind ●) Initiation
                              The first lesson all Wardens internalize is that no-where is truly safe. Even Hestia is vigilant before her hearth-fire. By meditating into the Astral without the cluttering resonance of a Hallow or Demesne, the Warden attunes themself to the subtleties of Mind's Twilight.
                              Exorcist’s Eye
                              Duration = Mind (Reach toAdvanced Duration)
                              Potency = N/A
                              Range = Self
                              Casting Time = Scene
                              NOTE: Ignoring the Spirit requirement, only works on Goetia.

                              COMMENTARY: Pretty straightforward. Typhonides aren't likely to enter the Material, but better safe than sorry.

                              (Prime ●)
                              When you study their underpinnings closely enough, Goetic abilities are surprisingly similar to Mind spells. So long as the Warden can analyze their ephemeral foes, they can unravel such abilities.
                              *Non-Spell Effect* As long as the Mind Attainment is active, the Warden can use Universal Counterspell against Goetic powers

                              COMMENTARY: While I like the thrust of my Prime Attainments for this Legacy, they might be underpowered. Counterspelling Goetic abilities is a VERY narrow situational band.


                              Intelligence Wins Wars
                              (Mind ●●) Academics 2
                              All Wardens are expected to maintain a wide knowledge-base on potential Goetia-spawning information, and keep careful records of those Astral Walkers they encounter. Goetia who appear allied with Typhon are especially important to note.
                              Know Goetia
                              Potency = Mind
                              Duration = 2 Turns, 3 at Mind 4
                              Withstand = Rank
                              Range = Sight (Reach to Sensory Range)
                              Casting Time = Instant (Reach to Instant Casting)

                              COMMENTARY: Literally just a Mind version of Know Spirit. Simple and useful for psychonauts.

                              (Prime ●●)
                              Knowing the lay of the land allows one to employ many tactics that would normally elude you.
                              *Non-Spell Effect* Prime spells benefit from a –2 penalty to Paradox rolls in the Astral.

                              COMMENTARY: Gives Prime spells the same benefit as Mind spells in the Astral. Again, useful but kinda weak.


                              It's Just a Weave
                              (Mind ●●●) Occult 3, Academics 3, Shadow Self
                              The most important thing to remember when dealing with the Astral is that none of it is actually "real". Symbolic and weighty, certainly, but not real.
                              Mental Shield
                              Duration = Mind (Reach to Advanced Duration)
                              Potency = N/A (2, 3 at Mind 4)
                              Range = Self
                              Casting Time = Scene
                              NOTE: Reach to "Goetic Attacks". Activates simultaneously with the Hearthguard Attainment.

                              COMMENTARY: A very necessary no-sell when hunting dream-dragons.

                              (Prime ●●●)
                              For most Mages, either Supernal enlightenment or mastery of the Subtle Arcana dictates the strength of the Amnion. For the Warden, these understandings are addative rather than independent.
                              *Non-Spell Effect* The Warden's Amnion is equal to [Gnosis + (Lower of Prime or Mind)]

                              COMMENTARY: If you're going to spend a lot of time in the Anima Mundi, you're gonna want a good bulwark of will.


                              The Greatest Weapon
                              (Mind ●●●●) Occult 4, Academics 4, Area of Expertise (Small-Unit Tactics)
                              Forewarned is forearmed, but being prepared for battle is useless if you can't think ahead. Wardens are trained to operate on multiple levels simultaneously, adapting to the mutable symbolism-reality of the Astral on the fly.

                              One Mind, Two Thoughts
                              Duration = Mind (Reach to Advanced Duration)
                              Potency = N/A
                              Range = Self
                              Casting Time = Scene
                              NOTE: Reach to "Instant Tasks", "Astral Physical". Activates simultaneously with Hearthguard and It's Just a Weave

                              COMMENTARY: I think this is the first time I've used the "Astral Physical" Reach for a Legacy. Never had a need, I guess, but MAN does it eat up Reach.

                              (Prime ●●●●)
                              Channeling their wrath into spears of golden lightning, the Warden takes on a tempestuous aspect in the Astral.
                              Celestial Fire
                              Potency= Prime
                              Duration = N/A
                              Range = Touch/Aimed
                              Casting Time = Instant (Reach to InstantCasting)

                              COMMENTARY: Unlike the rest, this one might be slightly overpowered. Although the Mana-waiving only applying in the Astral makes it pretty narrow for spamming… Mis-allocated Reach. Never mind.


                              Sowing the Dragon's Teeth
                              (Mind ●●●●●) Occult 5, Academics 5, Interdisciplinary Specialty (Small-Unit Tactics)
                              Master Wardens are able to summon legions to their call, hard-eyed goetic soldiers clad in hoplite armor called epilektoi. By meditating in their Oneiros and communing with the resonant echoes of their mentor-line, the Warden shapes small units of these fervently loyal Goetia to serve them for a year. When asked about their mayfly lifespan, epilektoi will disdainful reply that the reward for their brutal work is how short the period of service is, and that they would have it no other way. Though not powerful individually, epilektoi units can bring more powerful foes down with wolfpack tactics… or provide sacrificial distractions for their Warden commanders.
                              Psychic Genesis
                              Duration = Mind (Reach to Advanced Duration)
                              Potency = 1
                              Scale = All additional spell factors to Scale
                              Range = Touch
                              Casting Time = Scene

                              COMMENTARY: Rank 1 Goetia are going to be a distraction at best, but given you can make 4 or so per scene there's very little reason for a Master to not have a legitimate army of them on hand at any time.

                              (Prime ●●●●●)
                              Second-Degree Master Wardens are vanishingly rare, but their refinement of the Arcana bleeds into their troops. By adding the ritual sowing of Typhonide teeth (or nearest equivalent) to the creation of their epilektoi, the Warden infuses their creations with greater Supernal Truth. Called Spartoi, these Goetia serve loyally at the Warden's command until given permission to die.
                              *Non-Spell effect* based partially on Stealing Fire - Spartoi are Rank 2, count as Sleepwalkers, and are Indefinite. Their creation adds the cost of 1 Mana and the death of a Typhonide to the Mind portion of this Attainment.

                              COMMENTARY: I like this, and I think it's generally balanced enough, but am open to criticism and/or suggestions.


                              Secrets and Storyhooks
                              ● While an Aeon is hardly something to be underestimated, it's surprising that a whole Legacy dedicated to killing one hasn't yet succeeded. Or at least assaulted the Aeon's keep. More surprising, perhaps, is the fact that Typhon seems to simply ignore their existence. While getting any face-time with the Aeon is difficult at best, the one time a Mage managed to ask about the Wardens resulted in Typhon answering with a confused "Who?"

                              ● The child of two Etnan oracles has blossomed into a Proximus. While this would normally be the cause of some small fanfare and nothing more (the girl's mother is closely related to the Priamid, after all), the child's Curse and Arcana does not seem to map to any known Bloodline. If fact, it seems to map closer to the abilities Imbued into the girl's parents. Have the Wardens accidentally birthed a new Dynasty? And if so, can it be replicated?
                              Last edited by Cauthon; 12-01-2022, 01:43 AM.


                              Monkish Asexual.

                              I make Legacies when I'm bored. They're of middling quality, but have a look if you're interested. Advice and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

                              Comment


                              • A concept inspired by an End of Consciousness scenario, pretty interesting. I read that section of the Astral Worlds book and was also thinking "Why aren't all mages waging a collective war against these things ? If they win, everybody loses".

                                The weird thing is that Typhon is powerful enough to snap his fingers and nuke the Spire. Since he doesn't, he is either bound by his role or trying to accomplish something else. Its nice the story hooks acknowledge something weird is going on with him and his relationship to the Legacy.

                                Defeating him probably requires Ascending in a major way that carefully keeps the Aeons within human parameters, but redefined into something neutral at worst. Substituting it for Death of the Endless or Death of Discworld would be a win for the ages.

                                The third Prime Attainment is insanely powerful. With it, a high Gnosis mage can navigate areas with a strong Ecstatic Wind without insane amounts of preparation. Which means they can deny the will of the planet or cosmos to a major degree, which is a godlike feat. I think any mage who knows the Astral well would think "WTF!?", whereas any archmage would start looking into them as someone else's violation of the Pax Arcana.

                                On a side note, have they ever read the minds of these things ? They have Mental Shield, which should filter out any harmful or forbidden knowledge, so it could prove useful.


                                New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

                                The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
                                The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy whose invisible hands guide through the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X