Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would just remind the caster that he'd better shield himself before grabbing a bolt of electricity or he's going to get electrocuted. Pretty cool idea though, and of course now I'm thinking of how to do that with other types of energy as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yelesom View Post
      Lightning Javelin (Forces ••)
      Practice: Ruling
      Primary Factor: Potency
      Suggested Rote Skills: Streetwise, Crafts, Firearms

Grasp firmly the spear of lightning, and let it sunder your foes just a surely. With this spell you can pull a charge of electricity out of a source and hold onto it. You can make a thrown attack while holding this charge. A success allows you to release any amount of that charge as damage. Any remainder stays in your grasp for another attack, unless you let go of it or the spell ends.

+1 Reach: Half Potency rounded up is added as bonus dice for the throwing attack.

Example: I pull a charge out of a wall socket, giving me 4B to work with. Succeeding on an attack, I choose to use 2B as damage. I have 2B remaining in my hand, ready for another attack next turn.

Anything I need to tweak with this one?
      Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
      I would just remind the caster that he'd better shield himself before grabbing a bolt of electricity or he's going to get electrocuted. Pretty cool idea though, and of course now I'm thinking of how to do that with other types of energy as well.

Through Ruling you are controlling exactly what the electricity is doing, which as defined by this Imago is holding a shape of a javelin which you can throw at people and not a charge running down your arm to ground itself out which is what would be electrocuting you. If it holds the javelin shape while held then by definition it isn't killing the mage using it.

Though it could be argued that it may take Weaving to make the electricity to take such a shape instead of Ruling to give the electricity the properties needed to be held without grounding out. I can see it both ways, with Ruling taking much more intense concentration every round the power is held, and Weaving being cast and forget.

I'd add that if the duration elapses while the charge is held, the charge grounds out on the caster.

I think where this spell would be better than just arcing the power straight from the source is that it creates a weapon which can be brandished, used when needed, and carried to areas where there wasn't an electricity source to start with. When you need Electricity as something's Bane and the thing you are fighting has the power to extinguish or hide from mundane power sources, this spell would be great.
      Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 06-03-2016, 01:35 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
      "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

• And yet Mages are advised to take proper precautions when working with Forces because it's inherently dangerous. Electricity is specifically called out and the 4th dot attainment is specifically reduce the chances of a Mage frying himself by accident.

You're free to rule it that way though I suppose.

Comment

Lightning Javelin (Forces ••)

Grasp firmly the spear of lightning, and let it sunder your foes just a surely. With this spell you can pull a charge of electricity out of a source and hold onto it. You can make a thrown attack while holding this charge. A success allows you to release any amount of that charge as damage. Any remainder stays in your grasp for another attack, unless you let go of it or the spell ends.

+1 Reach: Half Potency rounded up is added as bonus dice for the throwing attack.

Example: I pull a charge out of a wall socket, giving me 4B to work with. Succeeding on an attack, I choose to use 2B as damage. I have 2B remaining in my hand, ready for another attack next turn.

Anything I need to tweak with this one?
          From Book
          Ruling spells grant fuller control over phenomena than a
          mere Compelling spell. Water can be made to flow uphill
          or into unnatural shapes (Matter), animals (or even human
          beings) can be commanded (Life or Mind), or time can be
          momentarily made to accelerate or slow down (Time). A
          Ruling spell can’t fundamentally alter its target’s abilities:
          Water can be directed, but not turned solid or gaseous.
          Time can be altered, but not overwritten. An animal can
          be commanded, but not made stronger or fiercer.

Using the water as an example You can direct the flow of the lightening, but holding it without shocking yourself adds more complexity. An additional sheilding spell would do it. Mundane electrical protection would do it. but you just couldn't hold it in the way you want.

But making it a weaving spell gets around the problem. You're not making/unmaking, you're not perfecting/transforming/breaking the lightening. You containing it and alterting its behavior/property to dicharge / swipe in an area.

Weaving spells can alter nearly any property of a target
          without transforming it into something completely different.
          Solid steel can be transmuted to liquid (Matter),
          a sword can be enchanted to damage beings in Twilight
          (Death or Spirit), or a few seconds of time can be rewritten
          (Time).

Placeholder

Comment

• MercSet Mrmdubois Pale_Crusader Hmm. I suppose making it Weaving is the way to go.
            Adding in melee attack option.

Lightning Javelin (Forces •••)
            Practice: Weaving

Grasp firmly the spear of lightning, and let it sunder your foes just a surely. With this spell you can pull a charge of electricity out of a source and hold onto it. You can make a melee or thrown attack while holding this charge. A success allows you to release any amount of that charge as damage. Any remainder stays in your grasp for another attack, unless you let go of it or the spell ends.

+1 Reach: Half Potency rounded up is added as bonus dice for the attack.

Comment

• I was looking for ways to make Prime more useful at dealing with mundane stuff, so I came up with this spell for manipulating your Nimbus Tilt.

Empower Nimbus (Prime 3)
              Practice: Perfecting
              Primary Factor: Duration
              Suggested Rote Skills: Intimidation, Persuasion, Occult
              The mage can strengthen the subject’s Nimbus, making their Nimbus Tilt more powerful. Choose an Attribute or Skill which the subject’s Nimbus Tilt affects. If the Nimbus tilt applies a bonus to that trait, the bonus increases by the spell’s potency. If a penalty, the penalty worsens by the spell’s potency.
              If the mage targets himself with this spell, this spell affects its own Nimbus Flare as well.
              This spell also improves the Nimbus’s ability to contest the auras of other supernatural creatures. Add the spell’s Potency to any contested roll between the subject’s aura and another creature’s aura.
              +1 Reach: The spell affects an additional Attribute or Skill covered by the subject’s Nimbus tilt. Divide the spell’s Potency between both. This effect may be applied multiple times.

Control Nimbus (Prime 2)
              Withstand: Resolve
              Suggested Rote Skills: Larceny, Persuasion, Occult
              The mage manipulates the subject’s Nimbus. For the spell’s duration, the mage can cause the Nimbus to flare when it would not, or to fail to flare when it otherwise would. The spell may also cause it to continuously flare, applying its Nimbus Tilt to those who see it for as long as they continue to see it flare.
              If the Nimbus has been detached from its owner, such as with the Sever Nimbus spell, this spell also allows the mage to move the Nimbus around within sensory range.
              +1 Reach: The mage may cause the subject's Nimbus to flare towards specific targets, applying the Nimbus tilt to them if they can see it, but not to others.
              1 Mana: The mage may reveal the subject’s Nimbus to the Fallen World, affecting even those not using Mage Sight. Sleepers suffer Quiescence after the Tilt ends.
              1 Mana: The mage imprints the target's Signature Nimbus on a single object, place, or person. (See Signature Nimbus p.90)
              Last edited by Strill; 06-06-2016, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Lightning Javelin (Forces •••)
                Looks reasonable to me; do you envision the throws as respecting Defense?

Does Potency limit the size of the electricity source used? You might have the attack deal damage as per the source and "ablate" one level of charge/Potency per use; this leads to more overall damage (instead of divvying up 6B into up to three hits, it hits thrice with less oomph each time) but can simplify book-keeping.

Here's a riff on the theme - a translation of an old Wu Long rote, Thunder Bridge. This is a tricky one to translate, as its primary effects - short-range flight and a defensive aura - were secondary to its medium, a conjured bolt of lightning.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Lei Gong's Raiment (Forces •••)
                Suggested Rote Skills: Politics, Athletics, Intimidation

The mage harnesses a nearby source of electricity to wrap a subject in a crackling corona of lightning. While the spell anchors the aura and prevents an immediate discharge into the surroundings, anyone that moves or interacts with the subject after the aura is set suffers harm as if they'd come into contact with the power source. Unless they are shielded, this threatens the subject as well, who must remain still to avoid harm. The Potency of the effect determines how much charge can be settled into the aura (as per the chart under Transform Energy), and each discharge reduces the remaining Potency of the effect by one, making future strikes less vicious or negating the aura altogether.

+2 Reach: Strikes do not reduce the Potency of the spell.

+1 Reach: The subject and aura's innate forces are harmonized to one another; the subject may move without harm. As a beneficial side effect, the subject is shielded from other sources of electricity, reducing their effective intensity by the Potency of the spell.
                +2 Reach: As above, and the aura exerts a modest "lift" on the subject. As long as the spell's Potency (treated as Strength) is sufficient to lift the subject's weight, they may, as an instant action, jump-float at a Speed of (Gnosis + Potency).

+1 Reach: The subject may "throw" the aura; it has range bands of (Potency x 10/Potency x 20/Potency x 40) and is aimed with Dexterity + Athletics - the target's Defense. A successful throw inflicts damage as a strike. If the subject is not protected in some way, they will be injured upon moving as usual. If the subject is being lifted by the aura (as in the +2 Reach option above), they may opt to "ride" a throw to its destination, the lightning carrying them to a new position.

I attack people with giant insects both on and off the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Five Eyes View Post
                  Looks reasonable to me; do you envision the throws as respecting Defense?

Does Potency limit the size of the electricity source used? You might have the attack deal damage as per the source and "ablate" one level of charge/Potency per use; this leads to more overall damage (instead of divvying up 6B into up to three hits, it hits thrice with less oomph each time) but can simplify book-keeping.
                  I was figuring that the attacks would respect defense, yees.
                  That potency idea solves the problem I was having with damage output.

Originally posted by Five Eyes View Post
                  Here's a riff on the theme - a translation of an old Wu Long rote, Thunder Bridge. This is a tricky one to translate, as its primary effects - short-range flight and a defensive aura - were secondary to its medium, a conjured bolt of lightning.
                  This spell is awesome! trumps the one I was trying to craft.

Comment

• Say. Has anyone tried writing up a spell that allows you to assume control over a relinquished spell by anchoring it to your spell limit? I can see it requiring Prime 5 to cast, and it could also be used to essentially 'hijack' a spell from an enemy Mage with a successful Clash of Wills. Thoughts?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Originally posted by Strill View Post
                      I was looking for ways to make Prime more useful at dealing with mundane stuff, so I came up with this spell for manipulating your Nimbus Tilt.

Empower Nimbus (Prime 3)
                      Suggested Rote Skills: Intimidation, Persuasion, Occult
                      The mage can strengthen the subject’s Nimbus, making their Nimbus Tilt more powerful. Choose an Attribute or Skill which the subject’s Nimbus Tilt affects. If the Nimbus tilt applies a bonus to that trait, the bonus increases by the spell’s potency. If a penalty, the penalty worsens by the spell’s potency.
                      If the mage targets himself with this spell, this spell affects its own Nimbus Flare as well.
                      This spell also improves the Nimbus’s ability to contest the auras of other supernatural creatures. Add the spell’s Potency to any contested roll between the subject’s aura and another creature’s aura.
                      +1 Reach: The spell affects an additional Attribute or Skill covered by the subject’s Nimbus tilt. Divide the spell’s Potency between both. This effect may be applied multiple times.

Control Nimbus (Prime 2)
                      Withstand: Resolve
                      Suggested Rote Skills: Larceny, Persuasion, Occult
                      The mage manipulates the subject’s Nimbus. For the spell’s duration, the mage can cause the Nimbus to flare when it would not, or to fail to flare when it otherwise would. The spell may also cause it to continuously flare, applying its Nimbus Tilt to those who see it for as long as they continue to see it flare.
                      If the Nimbus has been detached from its owner, such as with the Sever Nimbus spell, this spell also allows the mage to move the Nimbus around within sensory range.
                      +1 Reach: The mage may cause the subject's Nimbus to flare towards specific targets, applying the Nimbus tilt to them if they can see it, but not to others.
                      1 Mana: The mage may reveal the subject’s Nimbus to the Fallen World, affecting even those not using Mage Sight. Sleepers suffer Quiescence after the Tilt ends.
                      1 Mana: The mage imprints the target's Signature Nimbus on a single object, place, or person. (See Signature Nimbus p.90)
                      These are some interesting spells, Strill. It definitely offers more applications for one's Nimbus with sufficient mastery in Prime.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                        Say. Has anyone tried writing up a spell that allows you to assume control over a relinquished spell by anchoring it to your spell limit? I can see it requiring Prime 5 to cast, and it could also be used to essentially 'hijack' a spell from an enemy Mage with a successful Clash of Wills. Thoughts?
                        I'd have to read up on the setting metaphysics to see if it was kosher, but I could imagine this as being a Prime 4 Patterning to match the original caster's Nimbus and then an Aura clash to "convince" the relinquished spell that you're the genuine article and draw it into your control.

But does being able to re-integrate a relinquished spell mess with any setting assumptions? It seems like it trivializes the issue of whether leaving magic out in the world is irresponsible by giving an option that lets a mage "clean up" the problem.

Originally posted by Yelesom View Post
                        This spell is awesome! trumps the one I was trying to craft.
                        Not at all - to my mind they serve different purposes. I was thinking a bit more about the idea of using Forces to make weapons (because how can I Obrimos without a flaming sword?) - what about the possibility of making your spell's template more broad, akin to the higher-dot wide-applicability Forces spells?
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Form Blazing Sword (Forces •••)
                        Suggested Rote Skills: Athletics, Weaponry, Expression

The mage shapes and contains a source of energy into a melee weapon of elemental force; a campfire becomes a blade of flame, a concert provides a literal hammer of sound, or the mage enters a vampire's den armed with a spear of sunlight. The spell maintains the weapon's form and partially contains its energies, though the bearer suffers the full effects of continuous exposure. If the weapon is used to strike, it releases its stored energy into the target, as if they had spent a turn exposed to the source. The Potency of the effect determines how much energy may be contained in the weapon (as per the chart under Transform Energy), and each discharge reduces the remaining Potency of the effect by one, making future strikes less vicious or negating the spell altogether. The user's passive exposure does not reduce the spell's efficacy, however.

+1 Reach: The containment of the weapon is improved, and the user is no longer subject to its effects while bearing it.

+2 Reach: Strikes do not reduce the Potency of the spell.

+1 Reach: The weapon acquires a "core" of kinetic energy that gains heft when swung. If the weapon is used in a Weaponry attack and strikes the target, this buffeting force inflicts bashing damage equal to the attack successes, in addition to the effects of exposure to the stored energy. Armor can reduce this impact damage, but generally does not help against the energy.
                        +2 Reach: As above, and the core is more refined in shape; the weapon acquires the traits (equipment/initiative modifiers, Size, Strength requirement, etc.) of a weapon with a maximum equipment modifier of [Half Potency, round up.] While it still inflicts only bashing damage (including the weapon's modifier), it is in all other ways treated as the form copied - a flaming chain has the Grapple property, a flaming spear improves Defense and requires two hands to wield, and so on. As an instant action the mage may, if in range of the weapon, reconfigure it into another form within these limits.

+1 Reach: The weapon may be thrown; it has range bands of (Potency x 10/Potency x 20/Potency x 40) and is aimed with Dexterity + Athletics - the target's Defense. A successful throw inflicts damage as a strike. If the weapon has a kinetic element (as above), a throw inflicts additional bashing damage on a successful hit. The "thrown" energy splits off from the original weapon and dissipates upon impact, leaving the weapon itself still in the user's grasp.

I attack people with giant insects both on and off the court.

Comment

• These two spells are in response to the fact that arch-mastery is required to create a soul whole cloth. Their point is what if one does not try to create a soul from nothing but rather to create more with what one has. It is still a rough concept and a WIP but I felt I could share my progress.

Sunder Soul (Death****)
                          Practice: Unraveling
                          Primary factor: Potency
                          Withstand: Composure
                          Suggested rote skills: Occult, weaponry or larceny

For many souls are an important concept but to a mage that concept has worth and value. That is why this spell sickens many mages often even those regularly using it but not always, some are so lost that this violation does not cause them to even pause (Wisdom understanding sin). The reason why this is such a violation is that it literally sunders a soul in two but not a true destruction of the whole. This is represented by the Imperfect soul condition and this condition will remain unless both fragments are within the individual when the spell's duration ends and the soul has a week to heal, for the soul can only heal itself naturally if all parts are present.

Condition: Imperfect soul (persistant)
                          • -1 penalty to resisting possession.
                          • No willpower regained from surrender or rest.
                          • Does not have the decent of soul loss but can not heal the damage either, at most it stabilizes one without a true soul.
                          • Resolution: For the soul to heal naturally as above or to receive a whole soul.

[I am not quite happy with this but I feel it is so close to being right]
                          Mend Soul (Death ***)
                          Primary factor: duration
                          Suggested rote skills: Occult, craft or medicine

The soul can be damaged and harmed but as it can be harmed so can it be healed. This spell was designed for that very purpose, to heal what wounds or marks a soul. Often that is a persistent condition the person in question is suffering from and that can seen when a mage investigates the soul with the spell soul marks. One such aliment may be healed per potency but the soul only remains in this new found state of health for the spells duration.

A notable use of this spell is to heal an imperfect soul temporarily, to make a fragment of a soul equal to a whole soul and capable of it's functions. However this is not an accomplishment that one can use to claim that they have truly created a soul because this mended soul can still be dispelled and if this mended soul were to be sundered again the result would not be half of a soul but a quarter and require two instances of this spell to be maintained for it to act as a whole soul.

+2 reach and a mana the spell's duration is lasting.

[Even if these could not be consumed by a Tremere the ability to give these stand in souls for the original at least would allow one to continue extending their life with less weighing on their conscious]

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                            Mend Soul (Death ***)
                            Primary factor: duration
                            Suggested rote skills: Occult, craft or medicine

The soul can be damaged and harmed but as it can be harmed so can it be healed. This spell was designed for that very purpose, to heal what wounds or marks a soul. Often that is a persistent condition the person in question is suffering from and that can seen when a mage investigates the soul with the spell soul marks. One such aliment may be healed per potency but the soul only remains in this new found state of health for the spells duration.

A notable use of this spell is to heal an imperfect soul temporarily, to make a fragment of a soul equal to a whole soul and capable of it's functions. However this is not an accomplishment that one can use to claim that they have truly created a soul because this mended soul can still be dispelled and if this mended soul were to be sundered again the result would not be half of a soul but a quarter and require two instances of this spell to be maintained for it to act as a whole soul.

+2 reach and a mana the spell's duration is lasting.

[Even if these could not be consumed by a Tremere the ability to give these stand in souls for the original at least would allow one to continue extending their life with less weighing on their conscious]
                            You know, this particular spell could be rather handy. I see no reason why this one wouldn't apply to temporarily boosting Integrity/Wisdom/Humanity/Clarity, and making it Lasting means you could actually heal someone's soul, which is extremely thematic and could be really useful. A Beast has a Moros friend and is being pursued by a Hero? No problem, the Moros boosts their Integrity by Potency, makes it Lasting, and the Hero loses their crippling Beast-hunting obsession.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcanist View Post

You know, this particular spell could be rather handy. I see no reason why this one wouldn't apply to temporarily boosting Integrity/Wisdom/Humanity/Clarity, and making it Lasting means you could actually heal someone's soul, which is extremely thematic and could be really useful. A Beast has a Moros friend and is being pursued by a Hero? No problem, the Moros boosts their Integrity by Potency, makes it Lasting, and the Hero loses their crippling Beast-hunting obsession.
                              Being able to heal someone's integrity and make it lasting is probably too much but to be able to effect it at all I'd a good idea I hadn't concidered!

Comment

• I wrote up this spell based on Aspel's idea.

Cassandra's Curse (Prime **)
                                Practice: Veiling
                                Suggested Rote Skills: Politics, Subterfuge, Occult

Just like the prophet who always spoke the truth but was cursed so that no one believed her, the mage conceals all truth the subject speaks. Everyone who listens to her words is left with the impression that she's either lying, ignorant, or confused. If the spell adds a tinge of falsehood to statements that Sleeper witnesses are absolutely certain is true, those Sleepers may suffer Quiescence if they think about the contradiction too much.

+1 Reach: Listeners perceive the subject to not just be confused or mistaken, but outright lying.
                                +1 Reach: The spell affects all forms of communication the subject engages in.
                                +1 Reach: The mage can restrict the curse to apply only to particular facts or categories. (e.g. "My company's illegal financial dealings", "The secret tunnels underneath my house", "Statements made while performing as a fortune teller")
                                Last edited by Strill; 06-17-2016, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X