101 Mysterious Places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 Mysterious Places

One of the things I really like about 2E are all the example "around the world" settings- and Mage's Mysterious Places are awesome, even if only five of those are presented in the Core. So- let's play a game and make more of those Mysteries! I'll go first :P

1) Dolgellau, Wales- Many traveling mages are drawn to the city which dwells to the feet of the dread Cadair Idris. A giant once used the mountain as a throne to look at the heavens, and mages came to the city hopping to glimpse signs of the Supernal and read the patterns of stars through the mystical Star Windows which manifest in moonless nights. Magic touch the dreams of any who sleeps at the mountain, and Mystery Plays take place there, leading the Sleepers toward Awakening. Yet, dark things hide in the mountain's shadows- for it is a gate, but not for heaven. Shapeless beings roam the night, and the local mages lock their doors as the sound of howl fill the air. Things go out of the bottomless lakes and hunt those who are not careful enough to protect themselves- for this is the hunting ground of the mythical Gwyn ap Nudd, the hunter of Arawn, and his dogs feat upon those who are lost in the mountain's shadow. An ancient order of hedge witches have guarded the mountain for years, trying to chase curious away from the mountain- yet their influence is failing lately. A new and charismatic legacy as took root at Dolgellau, who push the other mages to explore the mountain in searching for "Heaven". They led many expeditions to Cadair Idris, and with each expedition at least one was lost to the Hounds- although for some reason, it is never one of them.

2) Jerusalem, Israel- a lot of blood was spilled in the City of Peace, as different nations and factions fought over controlling the Holy Land. In the Supernal, the Holy War never cease- different factions of angels swarm its skies and streets, fighting each other with blades of fire, lightning and ice above the many churches, mosques and synagogues. The Praetorian Ministry stands strong in the city, forcing other mages either to work with them or move through the shadows. The Temple Mount shines like a beacon of light in the Supernal, and some claim it holds a direct pathway toward the Supernal Realms. Thousands of wishes are hidden at the Wailing Wall, creating a vast tapestry which allows to those who know how to listen to hear the prayers in each person's heart. But not all is Heaven in Jerusalem: a bit outside the city, in the Valley of Hinnom, a gate of Hell occasionally opens- not the forge of Pandemonium, but a place of corruption and immorality which most would agree to be a Lower Depth. The gate shift its place constantly, requiring the use of Mage Sight in order to track it down, following the screams of the tormented and the tempting whispers of the demons who lurk behind i. Those who roam the Valley may find another, more dreading sing of Hell- for in its middle, a secret cult worship a tainted Omphalos, practicing a ceremony long forgotten by the most of the world with drums and fire- the Rite of Moloch, and the sleeping demon of the Valley would fulfill any wish- as long as you are willing to pay the price.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

I think Hinnom was outside old Jerusalem, but the modern city includes it (due to biblical references it's kinda a pain to find modern references to it). But it looks pretty built up, it's not terribly isolated.

Comment

not terribly isolated , but not well urbanized either- if you don't draw too much attention, I assume you could find a place to preform a human sacrifice or two once in a while. :P

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Just a few
        • London - just read Neverwhere for inspiration.
        • Prague - Faust House According to legends Faust lived here and was taken from there by the Devil through the roof. There was a hole in the ceiling that no mater how many times they fixed it always reopened. Probably some supernal verge to Shadow or some other realm.
        • Prague - Castle The places where Tycho de Brahe, Johanes Kepler and John Kelly worked and lived. What mysteries did they leave hidden behind?
        • Blanik and many other place through out Europe where according to the legends warriors are resting who will ride forth when the land needs them the most.
        • Thermopyl The battle of 300 against the Persian army. If it left no imprint on the place I don't know what would.
        • The Valley of Kings - Egypt Pyramids, Sphinx, dean and not so dead mummies.
        • In Europe if you dig deep enough and far enough into the past almost every nook and creek has some legend about local spirits and haunts.
        • Churches with the remains of the saints, places of miracles.

Comment

Working...
        X