Howalt's homebrews - 2e Primacy conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howalt's homebrews - 2e Primacy conversion

I'm back. Again. After a year of castigating my body in professional kitchens Down Under, I find myself in Vietnam with a lot more spare time on my hands. Browsing through the documents on my laptop, it didn't take long for me to get myself lost again in the world of the Cronicles of Darkness. Browsing, I also found several documents of half-finished homebrew rules, which I, with all of the appropriate measures of humility, thought weren't half bad. And seeing as I've been looking for a way to get back into writing, I figured I'd try to rework, polish and - gasp - maybe even finish some of the more worthwhile projects.

To that end I create this thread. Cast in an unfavourable light you can consider this to be a containment strategy, to keep me from spamming these boards with seemingly random, individual threads. A more generous interpretation would be to say that I'm trying to be organized. As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Primacy
    The first document I've turned my attention to is an iteration of my very first homebrew project, an expansion on and conversion of the Primacy rules, as found in the Damnation City supplement. I believe this will be my third attempt at writing a coherent Primacy rules-set for 2e Vampire the Requiem, though don't quote me on that.

Third time's the charm, so I feel confident. More so, because I am only one Chapter removed from a playable version. My last attempt was already quite complete, though basic in the language it utilized.

The first goal for my Primacy project is to finish a playable version. The second goal is to provide a sample Domain, as well as write the first story for a starting Chronicle set in that Domain. The third goal is to get the document properly formatted and, if possible, decorated with art.

This is how far I've come:

Introduction
    Chapter One - Masters and Puppets (character creation)
    Chapter Two - Primacy Plays (gameplay)
    Chapter Three - The Boons of Power (new merits, etc.)
    Chapter Four - Holland's Southern Counties (sample domain)
    Chapter Five - A Prince in Need (starting chronicle)

New covenant: the Aftal al Iblis

These are the Aftal al Iblis, a convenant that is to Islam, what the Lancae Sanctum is to Christianity: an institutionalized perversion of the faith.

Their Ritual discipline is the Recitation of Satanic verses, a form of blood sorcery that is suited to situations that call for ad hoc, improvised solutions.

Solace:
    It's sweet silvery bliss.

Come take a trip down the mercury road! All the cool neonates are doing it.

NEXT UP: either a new covenant of pirate vampires, or (a chunk of) Primacy, Chapter Four.

Thank you for reading. Comments and constructive criticism, scorn and laughter, flowers and praise - I welcome it all.
    Last edited by Howalt; 02-21-2018, 07:01 AM.

I'm following this.
    And honestly you're doing a fantastic job keep it up

Comment

So interesting to see this here, just as I come back to vampire to create a play by post game at ancilae level dealing with influence and shit. Will take a look

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

Good to see you here again, Griautis! If you do decide to use the Primacy rules for your game I'd love to get some feedback on how they work.

Speaking off: is there going to be an open call for this game?

Comment

So, yeah - I'm guessing a week or so has passed... Time for Chapter Three of the Primacy rules set:

The Boons of Power.

It this chapter I've outlined how disciplines work in the context of Primacy plays. I've also written up a good few handfulls of new Merits. Most important of these are the Asset Skill and Site merits.

I'd specifically appreciate some input on my handling of Blood Sorceries and the Coils; as well as my design of Court and Domain titles - are these interesting enough? Though, as always, all kinds of comments and criticisms are welcome.

NEXT UP: the Aftal al Iblis, an Islamic covenant.

Comment

I loved the Harpy merit so much, that I went ahead and stole it for my own campaigns.

My Bloodline conversions
            My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post
              I loved the Harpy merit so much, that I went ahead and stole it for my own campaigns.
              How'd that quote go again, "Plagiarism is the highest form of praise"?

Allright, so I finished these two documents a bit sooner than I expected to. Quite enjoyed writing them.

These are the Aftal al Iblis, a convenant that is to Islam, what the Lancae Sanctum is to Christianity: an institutionalized perversion of the faith.

Now, at first glance these Children of the Devil might look a lot like the Sanctified. But I've tried to make them subtely, but definitely, distinct. In a sense they are more like the Ordo Dracul in their ends and means. Their core mission is a defiance of God. And they seek a form of personal enlightenment. It was one of my main issues with the write up of 1e Banu Shaitan, that they were a subset of the Sanctified.

To further distinguish them from their Christian counterparts I've also given them a new Ritual discipline, the Recitation of Satanic verses.

Now this is my first time designing a form of blood magic, so here is where I need most of your input. The first thing you'll notice is that the casting time of Recitation is significantly shorter than that of Cruac and Theban Sorcery. The trade off is that reciting a Satanic verse leaves a ritualist vulnerable, very vulnerable when it comes to higher level verses.

The thought behind this design decision is that I wanted a Ritual discipline that is suited for situations that call for improvised, ad hoc solutions. More so because the core blood sorceries already pretty much cover the trope of a well prepared magician.

Comment

Do you mean Atfal Iblis (اطفال ابليس) Children of Iblis (Satan)? I recommend calling them Banu Iblis (بني ابليس) which makes more sense than Atfal (which literally means kids or toddlers) Also the way you put it together is 'The Children of the Iblis' with 'atfal' spelled incorrectly

Comment

Reading Recitation I feel like it should be based on Stamina, not Presence. After all, your bits are being torn away, shouldn't your capability to withstand the pain while continuing your ritual be more important?
                  Additionally, that would further set it apart from the other ritual sorceries, as one based on Physical attribute (Cruac is already on a social one)

My Bloodline conversions
                  My House rules

Comment

Another thing is that the Detachment penalty is way too harsh. I can't see any player buying a single dot unless they never plan on getting Blood Potency above 4. I think it would be better to have the penalty equal the number of dots in Recitation. That way you don't get the full penalty at the first dot, and can weigh the advantage/disadvantage of further initiation.

Also, you don't add Supernatural Tolerances when resisting.

Writer for Bloodlines: The Ageless on STV
                    Some other stuff I've done: Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post
                      Do you mean Atfal Iblis (اطفال ابليس) Children of Iblis (Satan)? I recommend calling them Banu Iblis (بني ابليس) which makes more sense than Atfal (which literally means kids or toddlers) Also the way you put it together is 'The Children of the Iblis' with 'atfal' spelled incorrectly
                      Hahaha, so much for Google translate.... I probably do mean that, yeah. Thanks a whole lot! I'll change it asap. I guess I could still keep Aftal as a derogatory term.

While you're here: I suspect I've made a similar error with 'Alhadith al Iblis', I want it to read something like "Iblis' narrative".

Originally posted by Griautis View Post
                      Reading Recitation I feel like it should be based on Stamina, not Presence. After all, your bits are being torn away, shouldn't your capability to withstand the pain while continuing your ritual be more important?
                      Additionally, that would further set it apart from the other ritual sorceries, as one based on Physical attribute (Cruac is already on a social one)
                      This is a beautiful suggestion. Thanks!

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      Another thing is that the Detachment penalty is way too harsh. I can't see any player buying a single dot unless they never plan on getting Blood Potency above 4. I think it would be better to have the penalty equal the number of dots in Recitation. That way you don't get the full penalty at the first dot, and can weigh the advantage/disadvantage of further initiation.
                      My initial write up had what you suggested, and then I changed it for the same reasons you bring to bear on the Blood Potency penalty now. My reasoning to go with Blood Potency was, in the end, that your Blood Potency rating isn't static, like Discipline rating is. The penalty would likewise be dynamic.

However, I do see that it might be too harsh still. What would you think of having the penalty apply only to Detachment rolls that are triggered by Breaking Points encountered as a result of using Recitation?

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      Also, you don't add Supernatural Tolerances when resisting.
                      Whoops - I knew that! I swear!
                      Last edited by Howalt; 02-18-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Howalt View Post

Hahaha, so much for Google translate.... I probably do mean that, yeah. Thanks a whole lot! I'll change it asap. I guess I could still keep Aftal as a derogatory term.

While you're here: I suspect I've made a similar error with 'Alhadith al Iblis', I want it to read something like "Iblis' narrative".
                        Atfal* : )

For that just go with Hadith Iblis (throw away the 'al' because that will just make it 'the Hadith Iblis')

In case you need the written Arabic version of these terms

Banu Iblis (بني إبليس)
                        Hadith Iblis (حديث إبليس)

Comment

You're legend, Shawarbaaz. Cheers!

Allright, so today I present to you my take on the sweet silvery bliss that is Solace, the one drug specifically tailored to kindred physiology.

Please let me know what you think. I'm specifically asking if the mechanics of addiction and overdose seem fair. But, as always, I welcome all other input.

EDIT - I've edited Recitation's drawback to the following:

Whenever a vampire rolls for Detachment in a scene where she’s used Recitation, her dice pool is penalized by her Blood Potency.
                          Last edited by Howalt; 02-21-2018, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I'm changing up the dynamic between the Regent and Vassal merits, as follows. I'd like some input on the Indebted condition mainly. I'm also not entirely happy with the way in which the additional merits gained by the Vassal merit are determined, so I could use alternatives for that.

Regent to •••••

Effect: You are the regent of a stretch of territory, by that an apartment block or an entire neighbourhood. The merit’s rating determines the size of your regency, each dot allows space for one vassal tennant. Once per Story, you may cause a tenant to gain the Indebted condition. Whenever you inflict the Indebted condition, come up with a task that can reasonably be resolved with a few nights of dedicated action. Completing the task resolves the condition.

As the land is yours, you get to declare rules that other kindred, whether they are tenants or simply passing through, are expected to follow when they visit your regency. Every dot in a Regent merit allows you to instate one rule that applies to the location of the associated regency. Note that the merit already assumes that only you and your tenants are allowed to feed within the bounds of the regency and that poaching is forbidden on your premises.

Additionally, once per Chapter, you can access a number of temporary Merit dots equal to half the Regency’s merit rating rounded up. Distribute these dots over Contacts, Feeding grounds, Herd, Safe Place, and Staff, when purchasing dots in the Regent merit.
                            You can purchase multiple instances of the Regent merit, each instance of the merit represents a different territory.

Drawback: Tenants may bring trouble, you are very much affected by any of their political scheming and Masquerade breaches. You will also have to maintain control over your Regency. This might mean keeping your liege, usually the Prince, content. It could also mean that you have to actively defend yourself against rival invasions. Or it simply requires you to set an example, every once in a while, of what happens to poachers.

Vassal

The domain in which you’ve made your haven is owned by someone else. You gain additional Feeding grounds, Herd and Safe place merit dots, these dots may be added to existing merits. You gain a total number of additional merit dots equal to your City status or your regent’s City status, whichever is higher.

Drawback: Your regent requires you to pay black rent. Once per Story, your regent may cause you to gain the Indebted condition.

New Condition; Indebted
                            Someone provides you with your primary means to subsist. You owe them. A lot. It’s time to pay the black rent. Whenever you spend Willpower to complete the task assigned to you by your regent, you benefit from a +5 bonus to your dice pool. If you spend the Willpower to boost a Resistance trait, the bonus becomes +3. Conversely, you cannot spend Willpower to boost the dice pools of actions that aren’t dedicated to completing the task given to you. Boosting a Resistance trait to resist an unrelated action still yields a +2 bonus.

Possible sources: The Vassal merit
                            Possible resolutions: Performing corvee for your liege. Your landlord departing from this world may also relieve you of the Indebted condition.
                            Beat: Whenever resolving the condition leads you to encounter a Breaking Point.
                            Last edited by Howalt; 02-27-2018, 04:57 AM.

Comment

All right, so I'm prepping a play-by-post Chronicle to play-test my Primacy rules. Is there anyone here interested in participating? Pm me for more details, please

Comment

Working...
                              X